ALEX DYER has left his post as Kilmarnock boss “by mutual consent” following his side’s 3-2 loss against St Johnstone yesterday.

However, there was no inkling of a parting of the ways when the manager talked to the media after the game at Rugby Park.

Dyer had seen his team blow a two-goal advantage to squander three points following a spirited fightback by the Perth outfit. The win helped Callum Davidson’s club leapfrog the Ayrshire club in the Premiership.

Shortly after TV interviews, Killie confirmed their gaffer’s departure.

The latest defeat – in a game that went ahead despite two home players testing positive for coronavirus during the week – was their third in a row and leaves them ninth in the table, five points above rock-bottom Hamilton Accies.

A club statement read: “We are grateful to Alex for all he has achieved with the club since joining Killie in October 2017.

“However, recent results and performances have been disappointing and with 24 points from 25 Premiership matches, we believe this is the right time for a change.

“Alex was part of the management team which secured back-to-back club record points totals in 2017/18 and 2018/19 and a return to European football at Rugby Park.”

Killie owner Billy Bowie said: “This was a tough decision for the club and not one which was made lightly. However, in light of recent results and in the interest of preserving our Scottish Premiership status, we feel this is the correct time for a change.

“Alex is a great man who I have the utmost respect for and he will always be warmly welcomed back to Rugby Park.

“I want to thank Alex for his important contribution to some truly wonderful days here at Kilmarnock and I wish him every success in the future.”

Dyer joined the club in 2017 as assistant to current Scotland boss Steve Clarke and helped them secure a return to European action two years later.

But when Clarke left to take over the national side, Dyer missed out to Italian Angelo Alessio who was subsequently fired to open the way for the Englishman.

Speaking immediately after the defeat, Dyer said: “I’m disappointed. We were 2-0 up and in control of the game and the second-half came around and we weren’t at the races. I don’t know why.

“We stopped doing all the stuff we’d done well in the first-half and if you do that against a side who are confident, then you get punished.

“It’s a big frustration. All they had to do was repeat the things they’d done in the first-half, manage the game and we would have got a result. When they got their first goal, we panicked a bit and the nerves came back.

“When it went 2-2, for me, there was only going to be one winner and that was them because they were on the front foot. We stopped doing what we’re good at and they got the winner.

“There is a fragile confidence about the team and that comes with not winning enough games and losing late goals like the way we did the other night at Livingston. Confidence is low.”

Killie face Celtic at Rugby Park on Tuesday night in their next fixture as they attempt to get back on track.


About Author


Acclaimed author Alex Gordon wrote the biography of Scotland international legend Denis Law, entitled 'King and Country'. He is a former columnist with World Soccer magazine and Scottish correspondent of respected European journal L'Equipe.

Loading ...