MORTON boss David Hopkin was ordered to the stand amid angry scenes as the Cappielow side crashed 5-3 in extra-time against Hibs at Easter Road.

The Greenock gaffer was forced to watch an enthralling encounter from the stand as his team made an unlucky exit from the Betfred League Cup.

Hopkin’s assistant manager Anton McElhone, speaking to BBC Sport, raged: “We should be through to the next round. Everybody knows in the stadium, having watched it, we were the better team for a lot of spells.

“We don’t have the same budget or resources, we gave everything, and we’ve been robbed out of it for that fourth goal.

“It should’ve been a free-kick down that right side. Our manager’s been getting it from all ends and he’s been sent to the stands for no reason. It’s a football match, you’re motivating your players and we feel hard done by.

“It’s a stonewall free-kick, we don’t get it and they go down the other end of the pitch and score.”

ON THE MARK…Scott Allan wheels away after netting against Morton.

Robbie Stockdale, the Edinburgh side’s No.2, told BBC Sport: “We took the foot off the gas and it doesn’t matter what opposition you do that against, it’s difficult to turn that momentum around.

“We spoke at half-time and reminded us of what got us into the lead and for large periods of the second-half we were dominant.

“We got sucker-punched right at the end, but the aim was to get through to the next round and we are. We’ve had to go through a little bit of pain to get there, but, hopefully, that might put us in good stead going forward.”

The Easter Road side were two up through Scott Allan and Josh Vela before Bob McHugh and Lewis Stevenson’s own goal levelled before the break.

Florian Kamberi put the hosts back ahead, but Steven Whittaker turned the ball into his own net in stoppage time.

However, the Swiss striker, linked with a £2million move to Basel, claimed another along with Christian Doidge in the added-on half-hour to clinch a place in the quarter-final against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park.

ANGELO ALESSIO, the under-pressure Killie boss, saw his team overcome Hamilton Accies 1-0 in extra-time to line up the last eight clash.

The Italian acknowledged his team urgently requires strengthening and, speaking to BBC Sport, admitted: “I hope Monday to have another player in. Maybe in the next week. We need another striker, a winger, and another centre-back.

“We need another solution.”

Brian Rice, the Accies gaffer, told the BBC: “I had a team of kids playing out there.

“They played their heart out, gave everything they had. In my opinion, they were the better team, we didn’t deserve to lose. I was delighted with everyone.”

Dom Thomas claimed the dramatic extra-time winner to put the Ayrshire side into quarter-final for the first time since 2011/12, the year they lifted the trophy.


About Author


Acclaimed author Alex Gordon wrote the biography of Scotland international legend Denis Law, entitled 'King and Country'. He is a former columnist with World Soccer magazine and Scottish correspondent of respected European journal L'Equipe.

Loading ...