KENNY MILLER enjoyed a 2-1 away day success in his new player/manager role at Livingston as they overcame Airdrie 2-1 in the Betfred League Cup.

The 38-year-old former Scotland international striker, who left Rangers at the end of the season, started up front alongside Lee Miller and it was his namesake who doubled his team’s advantage after Scott Pittman had opened the scoring.

Miller’s Premiership newcomers were dominant in the first-half, but slack play from Craig Halkett allowed Darryl Duffy the opportunity to score in the 53rd minute.

Asked if it felt different being a manager while playing, the veteran frontman replied: “Not really. You are keeping an eye on a few things and are a little bit more aware when things are taking a turn against you, you are thinking how you can stem the tide a little bit.

“We made a few changes and played a different shape and I think we looked a little bit more settled in the last 15 minutes. We still looked a threat going forward. The work ethic is there.”

Miller added: “We probably should have had more in the first-half. In the second-half, when you are not at it, no matter what level you are playing at, you give any team a chance.

“When you gift them a goal, it gets their tails up. But even in the second-half, I think we have still had three, four, five really good chances, mostly on the counter.

“So, all in all, really happy with a win in our first game, but always looking to improve.”

* DUNDEE UNITED suffered a setback with a Betfred League Cup penalty shoot-out defeat to Arbroath at Tannadice.

Csaba Laszlo signed Adam Barton from Partick Thistle just hours before kick-off, but there were warning signs as early as the fifth minute when Ryan Wallace missed a spot-kick for the visitors.

Nicky Clark netted a debut goal in the 77th minute after slotting home from fellow summer signing Fraser Aird’s ball, but Arbroath equalised five minutes later through Bobby Linn’s penalty and the same player sealed a bonus point when he made it 5-3 in the showdown.

Ross County went top of Group A after second-half goals from Declan McManus and Josh Mullin gave them a 2-0 derby win over Elgin.

* FALKIRK were shocked by Montrose in Group B thanks to Martin Rennie’s only goal in the 19th minute.

On-loan Motherwell midfielder Shea Gordon scored twice in the first six minutes of his Partick Thistle debut as the Jags won 2-0 at Stenhousemuir.

In the other Group E fixture, Lawrence Shankland netted a hat-trick as Ayr bounced back from Michael Tidser’s early goal to beat Morton 3-1 at Somerset Park.

* INVERNESS CALEY THISTLE got their Group C campaign off to a winning start thanks to Nathan Austin’s first-half double strike  as they saw off Highland League champions Cove Rangers 2-0.

Cowdenbeath striker Jordyn Sheerin also helped himself to a double as the Fifers claimed a
2-0 derby win over Raith Rovers.

* QUEEN OF THE SOUTH went top of Group G, despite falling two behind inside nine minutes against Stranraer, who scored through Chris McGowan and Luke Donnelly.

Gary Harkins, Stephen Dobbie and Lyndon Dykes all scored in the final five minutes minutes before the break to turn the game on its head and Andy Stirling made it four. Kyle Turner pulled one back before Dobbie rounded off the scoring to make it 5-3.

* EDINBURGH CITY secured a bonus point against Clyde, but were left to rue Martin McNiff’s second-half stoppage-time equaliser after Conrad Balatoni’s header looked to have sealed all three points.

Grant Adam saved two penalties as Dumbarton claimed a bonus point in Group H after a goalless draw with Spartans, while Peterhead sealed a bonus point after a goalless draw against Brechin in Group D.


About Author


Acclaimed author Alex Gordon wrote the biography of Scotland international legend Denis Law, entitled 'King and Country'. He is a former columnist with World Soccer magazine and Scottish correspondent of respected European journal L'Equipe.

Loading ...