STEVEN GERRARD has been told he has no chance of signing Millwall defender Jake Cooper.
The rookie Rangers boss targeted the former England Under-20 centre-back who is rated in the £2million bracket.
However, the London side have no intention of parting with the 23-year-old who still has two years left on his contract.
Cooper made 42 appearances and was part of the joint-third strongest defence in the Championship.
Gerrard has already signed two centre-backs this summer in Connor Goldson and Nikola Katic, but is now looking for replacement for veteran Bruno Alves who is heading out of Ibrox just a year after signing for ex-gaffer Pedro Caixinha.
* HIBS are set to complete the signing of former St Mirren midfielder Steve Mallan. The ex-Scotland Under-21 star moved from Paisley to Barnsley for £200,000 in May last year. A similar fee will take him to Easter Road.
* ABERDEEN have had a £500,000 bid for Doncaster frontman John Marquis rejected. However, Derek McInnes is ready to make an improved offer for the attacker who is also wanted by Peterborough.
* KILMARNOCK boss Steve Clarke has agreed a new improved contract with the Rugby Park outfit.
* HEARTS have made five-figure bid for Czech striker David Vanacek, of Teplice. The 27-year-old hitman is out of contract in December.
* ST JOHNSTONE have extended Swiss forward Arthur Nijo-Lea’s trial period. He could feature in a game for the Perth outfit next week.
* CANADIAN international striker Marcus Haber is on his way out at Dundee. He still has a year left on his contract, but boss Neil McCann will listen to offers.