CELTIC celebrated their seventh successive Premiership triumph today – but it was a low-key title party after Aberdeen won 1-0 at Parkhead.

On a dramatic final day of league fixtures, Hibs and Rangers drew 5-5 at Easter Road with the hosts’ manager Neil Lennon sent off following his side’s late leveller.

Andy Considine scored the only goal two minutes after the restart to give the Dons second place in the league and register their first league win at Celtic Park in 26 attempts.

Pittodrie defender Shay Logan was shown a straight red card by referee Craig Thomson after appearing to throw a punch at Mikael Lustig following the final whistle.

It was Derek McInnes’ first win over Brendan Rodgers’ side in 10 games and the Irishman will have to pick up the pieces to get the Hoops is the right frame of mind for Saturday’s Scottish Cup Final against Motherwell.

In Edinburgh, hat-trick hero Jamie MacLaren’s stoppage-time equaliser denied Rangers a famous comeback triumph as the teams shared 10 goals.

Gers looked like they were set to be blown away as Florian Kamberi, Scott Allan and Maclaren put Hibs 3-0 up after a 22-minute first-half barrage.

That left the hosts needing just three more goals to steal third place from the Ibrox men on a final day packed with drama.

But Jimmy Nicholls’ side mounted a stunning fightback with strikes from James Tavernier, Jordan Rossiter, Bruno Alves, Jason Holt and Josh Windass and they led 5-3.

However, another MacLaen goal had the visitors’ nerves jangling and they went down to 10 men after Holt was sent off.

Lennon was ordered to the stand after racing onto the pitch following his side’s fifth goal.

In the other game in the Premiership, Kilmarnock beat Hearts 1-0.


About Author


Acclaimed author Alex Gordon wrote the biography of Scotland international legend Denis Law, entitled 'King and Country'. He is a former columnist with World Soccer magazine and Scottish correspondent of respected European journal L'Equipe.

Loading ...