HOLDERS Celtic will face Jim Duffy’s Championship outfit Morton in the Scottish Cup quarter-final at Parkhead next month.

The draw was made at Pittodrie this evening after Aberdeen’s 4-2 win over Dundee United and the Dons now have another home tie against Steve Clarke’s Kilmarnock.

Rangers, who overcame League One Ayr United 6-1 at Somerset Park this afternoon, have a home tie against Paul Hartley’s Falkirk while Motherwell face the challenge of Hearts at Fir Park.

The Hoops, 3-2 victors over Partick Thistle yesterday with the assistance of a wonderful hat-trick from James Forrest, will look forward to welcoming former player Duffy and his Cappielow side who beat Dumbarton 3-0 yesterday.

The Greenock men represent another hurdle as the champions zero in historic back-to-back trebles. They claimed the trophy last season to complete the domestic clean sweep when Tom Rogic slotted in the memorable stoppage-time winner against Aberdeen.

At Pittodrie today, former Hoops winger Gary Mackay-Steven netted twice as the Dons saw off their Tannadice foes in a thrilling tussle.

Adam Rooney headed in the opening goal in the 20th minute after Mackay-Steven had provided the assist following a right-wing cross from Kenny McLean.

Seven minutes later, Mackay-Steven latched onto a pass from Niall McGinn to rifle a second beyond Harry Lewis, but Sam Stanton rocked the home side with a goal in the 34th minute when he broke from midfield to finish in style.

Within 60 seconds, however, McLean restored the Dons’ two-goal advantage following a superb left-wing cross from on-loan Celt Ryan Christie.

Ten minutes after the turnaround, Mackay-Steven collected his second goal and his team’s fourth with a low shot keeper Lewis diverted into the roof of the net.

Paul McMullan claimed a second goal for the visitors in the 70th minute, but it was too late to prevent the Dons reaching the last eight.

Graeme Murty’s Ibrox side were given a scare by League One Ayr at Somerset Park when Alan Forrest, brother of Celtic’s James, claimed the opener in the 11th minute after a howler from keeper Wes Foderingham who made a mess of a passback from David Bates.

But the visitors stormed back for an easy victory as the gallant home side collapsed under a second-half onslaught.

Alfredo Morelos, who had missed a sitter two minutes earlier, levelled in the 31st minute when he volleyed home after a shot from Sean Goss had struck the face of the crossbar.

Caretaker gaffer Murty then saw his side thump in three goals in a blistering six-minute blitz with Jason Cummings, on loan from Nottingham Forest, hooking in a cross from Goss in the 66th minute.

Josh Windass, scorer of a hat-trick in the 3-0 win over Fraserburgh in the previous round, knocked in the third and Morelos added a quickfire fourth.

A close-range header from Windass and a strike from Jamie Murphy completed the misery for keeper Jack Ruddy and his team-mates.

The full draw is:

CELTIC v Morton

Aberdeen v Kilmarnock

Motherwell v Hearts

Rangers v Falkirk

Ties due weekend March 3/4



About Author


Acclaimed author Alex Gordon wrote the biography of Scotland international legend Denis Law, entitled 'King and Country'. He is a former columnist with World Soccer magazine and Scottish correspondent of respected European journal L'Equipe.

Loading ...