CELTIC overcame Dundee 2-1 to restore their 25-point lead over Aberdeen at the top of the Premiership this afternoon.
The Hoops are now one win away from claiming their sixth successive title.
They broke the deadlock in first-half stoppage time at Dens Park through defender Jozo Simunovic’s deflected strike.
Stuart Armstrong headed in the second in the 51st minute after a wonderful cross from James Forrest completed a sweet move from one end of the pitch to the other.
Dundee pulled a goal back in the 76th minute through substitute Faissal El Bakhtaoui, but Celtic were able to hold on for three points.
The win extended Brendan Rodgers’ side 36-game unbeaten domestic run and they can clinch the title in a fortnight’s time when they face Hearts at Tynecastle.
The Hoops boss eased fears concerning 32-goal Moussa Dembele after the striker limped off at the end of the win.
The Frenchman was hobbling at the end of a fiery encounter where he was up against man-mountain defender Kevin Gomis.
Dembele was seen clutching his hamstring and had to be helped to his feet at the final whistle, the Hoops boss insists the Under-21 international should be fine.

Rodgers said: “He just overstretched a little bit towards the end, but I think he’s fine.”


The Parkhead gaffer was relieved to come away with full points. He added: “We showed a lot of elements to our game today. We played good football at times.

“Good control of the game, we never created too much in the first-half, but still deserved to be in front.

“The second-half, we scored a great goal to go 2-0 up and I felt after that we had chances to close the game out. And then we just lost our positioning a little bit.

“We made a mistake to let them score the goal which was a great strike and then at 2-1 we had to show a different side to our game because Dundee were quite direct from then on.

“We had to defend our box and win headers and the players did that.

“We had to show fight and mentality, but we did that. It was a great victory.”


About Author

Loading ...