DUNDEE heaped the misery on Rangers with a 2-1 victory at Dens Park this afternoon – the first time in 16 years they have beaten the Ibrox side.

Caretaker boss Graeme Murty, who made his dug-out debut and won by the same against Morton in the Scottish Cup last week, saw the Govan men slip six points behind Aberdeen, who beat Kilmarnock 2-1 earlier in the day, in the race for second place.

Remarkably, Rangers are now a monumental THIRTY points adrift of Premiership pacesetters Celtic.

This latest defeat is their sixth in the league in a woeful season that has seen turmoil on and off the pitch.

Mark O’Hara got the ball rolling for Paul Hartley’s side with the opening goal in the 13th minute.

The speedy Henrik Ojamaa raced down the left wing before sizzling over an inviting cross into the danger area.

O’Hara, who had come close with a header inside the first minute, arrived bang on time to steer a drive wide of Wes Foderingham low down at his left-hand post.

Clint Hill went off on the half-hour mark after taking a knock and was replaced by Danny Wilson.

Four minutes from the interval, the home side doubled their advantage following a free-kick from Kevin Holt that completely bamboozled Foderingham.

He lashed a left-footed drive from the right-wing into the box and it was missed by everyone as it flew past the bewildered Ibrox No.1 on its way into the net.

In the 62nd minute, however, Joe Garner scored his first goal since October – and his first in 12 games – when he took Dundee shotstopper Scott Bain by surprise.

He thumped in a 25-yard effort that appeared to move in the air as it zipped past the startled custodian.

A couple of minutes later, Garner was booked following a reckless challenge and will now miss the game against Celtic at Parkhead next month.

Kenny Miller came close to salvaging something for the visitors with a wicked shot following a corner-kick.

It took a nick off a defender and it struck the outside of the post.

That was as close as Murty’s men came to taking something from Tayside.

Rangers now face a tricky trip to Inverness on Friday to take on Caley Thistle.


About Author

Loading ...