(Rangers 2, Celtic 1; League Cup Final 1964/65)

SURPRISINGLY, Celtic manager Jimmy McGrory left out skipper Billy McNeill and brought in John Cushley at centre-half in the belief he would be better suited to curb the menace of Rangers striker Jim Forrest.

It was a gamble that back-fired as the livewire Ibrox raider twice eluded the grasp of the chunky Hoops defender to slot the ball behind John Fallon before Jimmy Johnstone pulled one back in the second-half.

Forrest’s goals were almost identical as he got free to have a one-on-on situation with the Hoops keeper on both occasions. And he did an expert job of tucking away his chances to make sure the trophy remained in Ibrox. The previous season, he had scored four in a 5-0 romp against Second Division Morton.

(Rangers 1, Celtic 0; League Cup Final 1970/71)

IT was the stuff of which dreams are made – a 16-year-old rookie striker being told on the day of the game by his manager that he was playing against the club’s most ferocious rivals in front of a capacity audience of 106,000 at the national stadium.

Derek Johnstone became an instant Ibrox hero when he climbed above Billy McNeill and Jim Craig to get his head to a right wing cross from Willie Johnston to head low past the stretching Evan Williams five minutes from the interval.

Skipper John Greig missed the Final after catching a flu bug and Ronnie McKinnon accepted the trophy. It was the third successive Cup Final Celtic had lost following the 3-1 defeat to Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup and the 2-1 reverse to Feyenoord in the European Cup.

(Rangers 2, Celtic aet; League Cup Final 1990/91)

PAUL ELLIOTT shocked Rangers with an instinctive header to beat keeper Chris Woods to give Billy McNeill’s side the lead at a wet and windy Hampden.

However, Graeme Souness’ men fought back and Ally McCoist set up Mark Walters to level with a crisp, low shot to Pat Bonner’s right to take the Final into extra-time.

Richard Gough played a captain’s part when he sneaked in at the back post to get on the end of a long drifting free-kick from inside his team’s own half. Bonner and Chris Morris fatally hesitated and the Ibrox centre-half managed to get a toe to the ball to direct the winner into the inviting net.

(Rangers 2, Celtic 1; League Cup Final 2002/03)

ARGENTINA’S World Cup star Claudio Caniggia, bought by Alex McLeish for a bargain £1million from Dundee, was the elusive Ibrox performer Celtic couldn’t pin down as he roamed around the frontline.

The veteran winger got the opener in the 23rd minute and Peter Lovenkrands doubled the advantage before the interval. The second-half was one of the most explosive encounters in recent years. Henrik Larsson pulled one back before John Hartson was wrongly ruled offside by ref Kenny Clark when he netted what should have been the leveller in the 62nd minute.

It just wasn’t the big Welshman’s day as he mishit a last-minute penalty-kick past the post. Neil Lennon was red-carded in the 88th minute and Rangers celebrated their fourth successive triumph in this competition over their Parkhead rivals.

(Rangers 2, Celtic 1 aet; League Cup Final 2010/11) 

IT looked as though the game was heading for penalty-kicks when Vladimir Weiss caught the Celtic defence unawares with a swift free-kick into the tracks of the completely unmarked Nikica Jelavic as extra-time ticked down.

The Croatian striker carried on and sent an angled drive past the outrushing Fraser Forster. There was a hush around Hampden as the ball bobbled goalwards before striking the foot of the upright and spinning over the line for the winner.

Steven Davis had given the Ibrox outfit the advantage with a low 18-yarder that eluded the grasp of the Hoops keeper who, ironically, is now his team-mate at Southampton. Joe Ledley headed in the equaliser before Jelavic struck to give Walter Smith’s side the trophy.


About Author

Loading ...