Celtic 3-3 Manchester City Brendan Rodgers' side secure a point in six goal thriller


Celtic and Manchester City fought out a 3-3 draw in their Champions League group stage match in a thrilling night in Glasgow.

Moussa Dembele gave Celtic a surprising lead just two minutes into the game, but City levelled just eight minutes later through Fernandinho.

But Celtic took the lead once again as Kieran Tierney, who was playing his 50th game for Celtic, fired a shot goalbound only for it to take a deflection off Raheem Sterling and into the back of the City goal. Before Sterling made amends by equalising for City soon after.

A minute into the second half and Dembele gave Celtic the lead once again as he scored his second goal of the game with a superb turn and shot within the 18-yard box. But like the two previous times before, City levelled once again this time through Nolito on 55 minutes.

With Barcelona winning 2-1 against Borussia Monchengladbach in Germany, the La Liga giants top the group on six points, City in second place with four points and Celtic are third, a point ahead of bottom side Monchengladbach.

Celtic Park was bouncing even before the game kicked off and the atmosphere generated by the home support looked to have fuelled the Celtic players early on as Dembele grabbed a shock opener, as City looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

Scott Sinclair launched a free kick to the back of City’s defensive line where Forrest had raced into space, before firing a first-time ball back into the mix which was met by Sviatchenko’s diving header which deflected in off Dembele.

Despite the initial shock of conceding, City equalised soon after through Fernandinho after he latched onto a Kolarov shot before firing home.

Since Brendan Rodgers’ arrival at Celtic, he has brought a new intensity to the team and rather than feeling disappointed for themselves at conceding, Celtic pushed forward and retook the lead with a counter attack.

Nir Bitton picked up the ball before nutmegging Fernandinho and laying the ball off to Tom Rogic who raced towards the City goal and playing a ball to the rampaging Tierney, and the Scottish international fired a shot goalbound only to watch it take a deflection and past the City keeper into the back of the net.

City showed their class and responded within ten minutes as they levelled once more. Scott Brown was dispossessed in the centre of the pitch before David Silva split the Celtic defence with a superb pass to Raheem Sterling, who turned inside out before firing a shot low past the outstretched arm of Craig Gordon.

Into the second half and Celtic again provided a shock to the watching punters both inside Celtic Park and beyond, when Dembele once again got on the scoresheet. Tierney whipped in a cross from the left flank, which City failed to deal with as it fell to the former Fulham striker who took the ball down and hooked it past Claudio Bravo to give Celtic a 3-2 lead.

But just like the two previous times, City once again equalised this time through Nolito as he pounced on a loose ball following a Sergio Aguero shot, to fire home past Gordon.

With Celtic tiring, City took control and pinned Celtic back. It looked like the pressure from the English side would pay off, but Fernandinho fired a shot over the bar, before Sviatchenko denied Gundogan and Gordon pulled off a save to deny them also.

Celtic were dead on their feet come the final whistle, giving everything they could as they dug deep to pull off what was a shock but deserving result for Rodgers’ side.


About Author


Andy Muirhead is the Editor of Scotzine and the Scottish Football fanzine FITBA. He is the Scottish Football columnist for The Morning Star and has written for a number of other publications including ESPN, Huffington Post UK, BT Life's a Pitch and has had his work featured in the Daily Record, The Scotsman and the Daily Mail.

Loading ...