Hibernian end 114 year Scottish Cup hoodoo with 3-2 win over Rangers


Hibernian staged a late fightback to win their first Scottish Cup since 1902 as they ran out 3-2 winnvers over Rangers at Hampden Park on Saturday, ending 114 years of pain, sorrow and heartache.

On loan Celtic striker Anthony Stokes scored twice for Alan Stubbs’ side with Kenny Miller and Andy Halliday getting on the scoresheet for Rangers. But it was left to Hibees skipper David Gray to etch his name and that of his teammates into the history books

ended 114 years of pain thanks to a late David Gray header which secured a 3-2 win over fellow championship side Rangers.

On loan Celtic striker Anthony Stokes bagged a brace for Hibs, with Kenny Miller and Andy Halliday scoring for Rangers. But Hibernian captain David Gray popped up in the dying minutes of the game to head home the winner and send the Hibs fans delirious.

Hibs started the brighter of the two sides and with just two minutes played Anthony Stokes found space on the left wing – with James Tavernier caught out of position – he ran at goal with defender Rob Kiernan backing off until the Irish striker curled an effort past Foderingham in the Rangers goal and into the bottom corner.

Rangers finally started to get a toehold in the game and just before the half hour mark they drew level. Tavernier, who was culpable for his part in Hibernian’s opening goal, fired an inch perfect cross into the Hibs bos for Kenny Miller to shrug off the advances of defender Darren McGregor to head home past keeper Conrad Logan.

Moments later and Stokes came close to giving Hibs the lead again, he picked up a pass from John McGinn before firing a 25 yard strike off the post. At the other end Miller headed a Barrie McKay corner off the crossbar – after being left unmarked in the Hibs box.

Stokes was again denied a secon goal, this time by Foderingham who made a good save just before half time and he then headed a Gray cross wide.

The Irishman was proving to be a huge thorn in the side of Rangers, in part thanks to him having Tavernier in his back pocket throughout the game, and once again he forced Foderingham into a good save as he fired a 25 yard strike goalbound.

It looked as all those missed chances would come back to haunt Hibs as Andy Halliday fired a superb strike from 20 odd yards out past Logan to give Rangers the lead.

That stunning goal hit Hibernian hard and Rangers grabbed the ascendancy in the game, but despite dominating possession Rangers failed to do anything in the final third and Hibs began to inch their way back in the game – with substitute Liam Henderson the catalyst for the beginnings of an unlikely fightback.

Once again Stokes was the man that grabbed the bull by the horns and took the game to Rangers. Just before 80 minute mark, he blazed a shot over the bar but with ten minutes remaining Henderson whipped in a perfect corner for his fellow Celtic loanee to head past Foderingham to pull Hibs level.

With the game looking as though it would go to extra time, Stokes came close to nicking it at the death but he was denied by Foderingham again, but from the resulting corner captain David Gray rose highest in the Rangers box to power his header home and send Hibernian-supporting men, women and children into ecstasy.

With the final whistle sounding, Hibernian became the first side from the lower leagues to win the oldest national cup trophy in the world since East FIfe in 1938.

Sadly the scenes that followed the final whistle tried to overshadow what was history in the making for Hibernian and for Scottish football.


About Author


Andy Muirhead is the Editor of Scotzine and the Scottish Football fanzine FITBA. He is the Scottish Football columnist for The Morning Star and has written for a number of other publications including ESPN, Huffington Post UK, BT Life's a Pitch and has had his work featured in the Daily Record, The Scotsman and the Daily Mail.

Loading ...