Seven goal thriller as Caley Thistle last gasp goal wins it


Accies poor run continued despite playing their part in a seven-goal thriller, which unveiled itself toward the end of an otherwise dismal match. Hamilton started the brighter of the sides, but heads went down after Greg Tansey scored a fantastic free-kick against the run of play.

Thistle’s lead doubled when Liam Polworth struck home from twenty yards, and it looked like curtains for the Lanarkshire men. Carlton Morris came on and made an immediate impact with a goal at the near post, Ziggy Gordon then equalised on eighty minutes.

Thistle got their noses ahead once again with another Tansey free-kick before Christian Nade pulled the home side level for a second time. The match was into injury time by now and everyone had settled for a share of the points, when Polworth stole all three with another twenty-yard strike.

Accies began well and passed the ball about nicely at times, but without the cutting edge that they’ve sorely missed of late. Then in the only moment of note in the first half, Thistle won a free kick twenty-five yards from goal. Tansey’s strike was ferocious and straight, leaving McGovern with no chance, 0-1.

The second Thistle goal was equally spectacular, Hamilton looked lost, the ball was played deep down the right-hand side for Polworth. He ran toward goal just behind the retreating Accies defence, and without a challenge, unleashed from twenty yards, 0-2.

Martin Canning was forced to change things up front, and Carlton Morris came on short of the half hour. Hamilton went close after Jesus Garcia Tena played Ali Crawford on with a great ball forward, but his fifteen-yard strike was brilliantly saved by Williams.

This seemed to spark some life into Accies, and within moments, Morris had volleyed in from the edge of the six-yard box, 1-2. Hamilton were back in the game and with ten minutes left, were awarded a free kick. Crawford sent into the penalty area and Gordon headed into the corner of the net, 2-2.

With less than two minutes of time left, Imrie gave away a free kick on the edge of the penalty area, Tansey stepped up and curled his second into the top left-hand corner, 2-3. Within the minute, Hamilton had went upfield and won themselves a corner kick. Crawford sent in, the ball came off someone’s head and Nade headed over the line, 3-3.

No one could quite believe what they were witnessing, the difference in the Hamilton performance was night and day. As the fans of both sides had come to terms with a share of the points, the ball was played forward to Polworth just outside the penalty area. With the last touch of the match, the ball was sent sailing into the top left corner, 3-4.

Accies manager Martin Canning said afterwards: “I’m so disappointed for the boys, because they’ve put so much effort in the second half, it would have been easy for a lesser group to have chucked it at 2-0 and not tried to get back into the game, not do the right things and continue to work hard.

“That’s not the case, they’re such a good bunch and I’m gutted that they didn’t get anything out of it.”

Jubilant Thistle boss John Hughes said: “At 3-3 to be honest, you think well that’s it, you know, but for young Polworth to come up with that, it shows that theirs a bit of spirit and we’re unbeaten in four.

“We’re not going to be the team that we were last year, we’ve lost too many players from that team last year, so it’s a sort of rebuild again and what they’ve done is absolutely remarkable.

“All we need to do is keep everybody injury free, we’ve been absolutely battered from pillar to post with injuries.”

Hamilton Accies: McGovern, Gordon, Kurakins, Gillespie, Imrie (Redmond 90), Crawford, Longridge (Morris 58), MacKinnon, Brophy (Nade 75), Garcia Tena, Tagliapietra. Subs Unused: Martin, Sendles-White, Docherty, Boyd.

Inverness CT: Williams, Raven, Tremarco, Vincent, Warren, Draper, Devine, Wedderburn (Williams 87), Tansey, Polworth, Storey. Subs Unused: Esson, Lopez, Roberts, Sho-Silva, Vigurs, Mutombo.


About Author

Loading ...