Highland Football League midweek review: Inverurie and Nairn settle for draw


hfl-logoThe match of the night in the Highland League came at Harlaw Park where Inverurie Locos and Nairn County met. Conor Gethins gave Nairn the lead on 29 minutes before Andy Hunter levelled for Locos three minutes after the interval with a deflected strike.

Turriff United made sure Cove Rangers went back to Aberdeen empty-handed after a 2-0 win at the Haughs. Andy Macaskill got things rolling with a 1st minute before Jamie Beagrie got a 2nd on 12 minutes. If it wasn’t for Turriff’s three point deduction then they would have been sitting in 2nd.

Lossiemouth jumped into 13th after a 2-0 win at home to Rothes in a scrappy game at Grant Park. Ryan Farquhar gave Lossie the lead on 13 minutes before Shawn Scott rounded off the scoring after his shot cannoned off the post and in.

Fort William may have secured a crucial point in their attempts to avoid the wooden spoon this season. The Lochaber outfit produced a stunning comeback to draw 3-3 away to Strathspey Thistle. Nick Stein got a brace for the Fort and that takes him to five goals in three games since he arrived at the club.

It will be Elgin City v Brora Rangers in the North Of Scotland Cup final after Brora produced a 2-1 win away to rivals Wick Academy on Tuesday night and was then followed by a 4-2 win by City away to Forres Mechanics last night.

After the Wick v Brora match, the Brora supporters bus was targeted by stones as the bus left the Caithness town. A statement from Academy can be found here http://www.wick-academy.co.uk/

It’s Fraserburgh v Buckie Thistle in the Aberdeenshire Cup final. Fraserburgh produced a 5-0 win over Junior outfit Banks O’Dee to progress to the final for the 2nd time in three years.

Buckie Thistle stole the headlines though after a magnificent display away to holders Formartine United which saw the Jags win 3-0. Andrzej Kleczkowski, Andy Low and Chris Angus were on target for Gary Hakes side.


About Author

Loading ...