SPFL League One and Two reviews – Midweek games and thrills



First off on Tuesday night, Rangers went 14 league wins in a row into the season with a 6-1 win against Forfar Athletic. It did nothing really to the title race but Nicky Clark with fur, Lee Wallace and a Lee McCulloch penalty left Forfar with only Gavin Swankie’s original leveller to show for the night.


There was a full fixture list spread between Saturday and Tuesday night with all the intrigue of the Championship race wide open for all to see. On Saturday Jim McInally’s Peterhead took top spot thanks to Fraser McLaren and a Rory McAllister double seeing off Montrose. Meanwhile Queen’s Park were 2-0 up and cruising thanks to Blair Spittal and a Tony Quinn penalty. Craig Gunn managed to get 1 back fro Elgin City before Ross McKinnon equalised with a penalty. Craig Gunn then broke the Spiders’ hearts with a winner for 3-2.

It meant that on Tuesday night the games were balanced as below: –

Clyde (2nd) v Annan Athletic (3rd)

Stirling Albion (4th) v Berwick Rangers (8th)

Albion Rovers (9th) v East Stirlingshire (5th)

With more permutations than an exotic dancer this was to be a night of wriggles and quick changes in the race. All kicked off at 7:45pm and after 15 minutes Jordan White had scored the only goal of the night to send Stirling Albion to the top of the table; Berwick Rangers dropped to 9th.

By 8:15pm Gary Phillips had put Albion Rovers ahead and they were sitting 7th. East Stirlingshire as a consequence were now sitting outside the top 4 on points rather than on goal difference. Annan Athletic were sitting on 4th. Peterhead had slipped from the top and were now in 3rd.

By half time Albion Rovers had doubled their lead thanks to Chris Dallas. Annan had taken the lead against Clyde thanks to Kenneth McKay and they were now sitting top of the league on goal difference. The Binos were now 2nd, the Blue Toon 3rd and the Bully Wee in 4th.

The second half was hardly 5 minutes old before Lee Currie had Berwick Rangers level. Stuart McColm then equalised for Clyde and sent them to the top of the league. Peterhead were now in 2nd, Annan in 3rd and Stirling Albion in 4th.

Not to be outdone an own goal from Steven Notman allowed Stirling Albion to leap frog from 4th to the top spot with Clyde now 2nd, Peterhead 3rd and Annan back in 4th.

By 9pm my mind was spinning. Ross Forsyth had got a 3rd for Stirling meaning that tie looked as though it was settled at 3-1 to go their way.

East Stirlingshire sparked some life into their game by quarter past as Paul Quinn got one back, then Scott Chaplain restored the Wee Rovers’ lead before Paul Quinn got it to 3-2 as Stirling.

In the last 15 minutes Stuart McColm got Clyde’s 2nd to make it 2-1 for the home team and send them back to the top with The Binos 2nd, Blue Toon 3rd and Annan in 4th. And that is how it remained as it finished: –

Clyde (2nd, now 1st) 2 Annan Athletic (3rd now 4th) 1

Stirling Albion (4th now 2nd) 3 v Berwick Rangers (8th now 9th) 1

Albion Rovers (9th now 7th) 3 v East Stirlingshire (5th and still 5th) 2


About Author

A lifelong supporter, since seeing Alex Ferguson play for them, of Ayr United he now contributes here, at KickTalk and Ringside Reports for things sporty. He is also a theatrical type and an educationalist. As an Ayr fan he clearly can explain the inexplicable, place fanatical faith in the most fantastic of dreams and deal with dark periods of depression and disappointment. Perfect as a teacher..

Loading ...