Megan Foley ends Rangers’ six match winless streak in the league


Super sub Megan Foley scored a brace to earn Rangers a 3-2 away victory to second placed Hibernian who knocked them out the Scottish Cup the previous weekend, ending a winless streak of six matches in the league.

Rangers head coach Angie Hind hailed her side’s victory over Hibernian, she said: “I thought we were fantastic. We lost two terrible goals at the start of each half and gave ourselves a mountain to climb, but I thought we climbed that mountain.”

Last weekend the two sides had to be separated through a penalty shootout in their Scottish Cup semi final clash, but the crowd was spoiled at Albyn Park as just one minute in Hibernian took the lead with Rachael Walkingshaw scoring from the spot, with goalkeeper Khym Ramsay was lucky not to be booked for a foul at the edge of her box.

Rangers seemed to be shocked by the early goal and struggled to get into the game in the first fifteen minutes. Hibernian came close again as Frankie Brown’s great cross from the right just narrowly missed the head of Susan Fairlie who was in space in the box.

Rangers managed to make their way into the game and created a number of chances from outside the area and were lucky not to equalise when Haylie Cunningham’s shot stung goalkeeper Lynn’s hand and almost stumbled over the line.

Rangers were now dominating play with Hibs just creating a few chances on the counter, it was no surprise when Cunningham finally got the goal she and Rangers deserved. A Megan Sneddon throw in delivered a great ball into the box, Amy Harrison headed the ball on and Cunningham blasted the ball right into the middle of the net just before half time.

Hibernian were made to wait as Rangers took their time getting out of the dressing room at half time and their sluggishness mirrored their start to the second half as Hibs scored in the first minute again. Walkingshaw scored a beautiful goal, curling the ball around the goalkeeper leaving Rangers stunned.

As the tempo of the game slowed down, Angie Hind made the first of two changes with Erin Cuthbert coming on for Lisa Swanson. Rangers began to work the ball better but still could not make it count in the final third as Kathryn Hill showed her side’s frustration by shooting well wide thirty yards out.

Angie Hind then made her second change of the day bringing on Megan Foley and which would be the turning point in the game, as Foley took just five minutes on the park to give Rangers a deserved equaliser. Kathryn Hill played an outstanding pass right through Hibs’ defence which Foley controlled and scored from.

It was end to end stuff in the last ten minutes as both teams searched for a winner and Hibernian looked to have done it eight minutes from time but substitute Katey Turner was correctly ruled offside.

Rangers showed grit and determination after coming back twice in the match and took the lead for the first time in the 84th minute as Megan Foley scored her second of the game with another great goal from the super sub.

Hinds’ side managed to hold their nerve as Hibernian tried to find a late equaliser, but it was Rangers who could have added to their tally as Amy Harrison’s 25 yard strike forced keeper Shannon Lynn into a superb save to tip the dipping shot over the bar minutes before the full-time whistle.

Angie Hind was ecstatic with her team’s performance in the second half. She said: “The togetherness and desire and the wee spark with bring Megan Foley and Erin Cuthbert on really helped left us.”


About Author

Loading ...