Hibernian Ladies secure final spot after 5-4 penalty win over Rangers

Pic: Phil McCloy | Scotzine.com

Pic: Phil McCloy | Scotzine.com

Hibernian Ladies booked their place in Women’s Scottish Cup Final following a 5-4 penalty shootout win over Rangers Ladies after the two sides could not be separated after 120 minutes. Hibernian scored through Rachel Walkingshaw just before the hour mark, but Rangers equalised through Amy Harrison on 72 minutes.

After extra time saw no winner, the tie went to penalties and Sophie Riley missed her penalty kick for Rangers Ladies and Hibs secured the victory with a clean sweep of spot kicks.

The first 15 minutes of the game was pretty scrappy as both sides cancelled one another out and resorted to long range strikes, through Megan Sneddon and Amy Harrison for Rangers and Samantha Hare for Hibernian.

Hibernian were dealt a blow on 19 minutes when Sam Hare went down injured and had to be carried off the pitch with a knee injury.

Just before the half hour mark, Joelle Murray played a through ball to Lizzie Arnott down the left flank, who ran to the byline and crossed for Susan Fairlie, however the Hibernian forward could only watch as her shot was saved point blank by Rangers keeper Khym Ramsay.

Rangers then had another chance to break the deadlock when Amy Harrison got on the end of a pass, but her snap shot was saved by Lynn.

Into the second half and Hibernian took the lead on 54 minutes after Rachel Walkingshaw ran onto a pull back, drilling low past Ramsay.

Three minutes later and Hibernian had another great chance as Fairlie broke free down the right, but her ball across the face of goal could not find a team mate and it was smothered by Ramsay.

On 72 minutes, Rangers pulled level as striker Amy Harrison headed home after a cross was whipped in from the right.

With 11 minutes remaining, Fairlie was inches from diverting a cross ball into the back of the Rangers net and right on full time a Joelle Murray free kick caused chaos inside the Rangers box as it cannoned off the post before the rebound was headed off the bar and the follow up headed wide.

Extra time ensued, in the eighth minute of the extra time, Natalie Ross raced through on goal one on one with Shannon Lynn, but Hibernian defender Kirsty Smith got back and prevented the shot with a last ditch tackle.

On the stroke of half time in extra time, Smith looked to have pushed Kathryn Hill over just inside the Hibs box, but the referee failed to award a spotkick and play was stopped as Hill picked up a shoulder injury.

Five minutes into the second half of extra time and Hibernian had a claim for a penalty after a Smith shot looked to cannon off one of the Rangers players, but once again the referee waved play on.

With neither side managing to find a way past the other the game went to penalties and it was Hibernian who won 5-4, after Rangers’ Sophie Riley missed the only penalty of ten taken, to secure their place in the final of the Women’s Scottish Cup.

Check out Phil McCloy’s match photos from the Hibernian Ladies – Rangers game on our official Flickr page.


About Author


Andy Muirhead is the Editor of Scotzine and the Scottish Football fanzine FITBA. He is the Scottish Football columnist for The Morning Star and has written for a number of other publications including ESPN, Huffington Post UK, BT Life's a Pitch and has had his work featured in the Daily Record, The Scotsman and the Daily Mail.

Loading ...