Glasgow City set-up Arsenal last 16 tie with win over Standard Liege


Arsenal await Glasgow City in the last 16 of the Champions League as the Glasgow outfit were ruthless in disposing of Belgian side Standard Liege.

Just short of a thousand people descended on Petershill Park and although the weather was atrocious they made plenty of noise as Scotland’s champions took full advantage of their home surroundings.

Two goals in the opening half-hour, first through Suzanne Mulvey then Denise O’Sulliven gave City plenty of leeway going into the second-half where they extended their lead through Sarah Crilly before Tessa Wullaert gave Liege a late consolation.

The hosts started the match in a tentative fashion as they struggled to make the most of their early possession.

The home side’s first chance came through winger Nicky Docherty on 14 minutes when she floated a ball into the box from out wide but Suzanne Mulvey was unable to get a decisive foot on the ball.

But a minute later, City got their first goal of the night. A neat ball over the top found Mulvey who expertly turned Aline Zelter, however Zelter in a desperate effort to clear the ball prodded low into the bottom corner of the net past a hapless Sabrina Broos, UEFA after the game awarded the goal to Suzanne Mulvey.

The old saying, you are always at your most vulnerable after you score was nearly true when the Belgians almost got an equaliser a minute after City took the lead. An inauspicious cross from out wide by Tessa Wullaert nearly crept in at the back post, however luckily for City it only hit the crossbar.

The early goal had given Glasgow the confidence they had being missing in the opening 15 minutes and they almost got a second when Nicky Docherty fired a long-range shot but her effort went just wide.

With 22 minutes played, Alexander had to save her side when she came out of her box to make an expert slide tackle on Vanity Lewerissa.

Welsh international Jess Fishlock nearly got the second for City on 23 minutes when she weaved through the Liege defence before unleashing a low shot from just outside the box but her effort was calmly saved by Broos.

However City weren’t going to be denied a second which they deservedly got with half an hour played. Sarah Crilly from out wide delivered an inch perfect cross into the box which found Irish international Denise O’Sulliven who scored a stunning half volley into the top corner of the net.

With only a minute of the second-half played, City almost got a third. Sarah Crilly found space on the edge of the box and her volley from out wide came off the cross bar before falling to Jo Love who from ten-yards out was unable to score as Broos managed to scoop the ball up on the line.

Next up to have an effort on the Liege goal was City stalwart Leanne Ross who had a cheeky chip from just outside the box, but the defender put a bit too much power behind the chip as it went just over.

Glasgow’s third came through Crilly on 55 minutes when she powered home a strike from just outside the box into the roof of the net. Crilly had managed to beat her marker Audrey Demoustier to the ball before unleashing her powerful strike which gave Broos no chance.

Liege got their first effort of the second half with an hour gone. A ball from out wide found the ever dangerous Lewerissa who could only manage a weak shot from close range which Alexander had no problem in gathering.

Lee Alexander pulled off a great save on 75 minutes when she denied a marauding Tess Wullaert with a strong punch wide.

The City keeper was forced again to make a great save with five minutes remaining, this time denying Faustine Cartegnie from close range.

Standard Liege managed a consolation with only seconds remaining through Tessa Wullaert when she tapped home into an empty City net from only a couple of yards.

The Belgians worked a smart free-kick out to Faustine Cartegrie who squared the ball across the box to an on-running Wullaert who made no mistake in dispatching the ball over the line.

Glasgow City will begin their last 16 tie with Arsenal away on either November 6th or 7th with City’s home leg coming on either November 14th or 15th.

After the game City manager Eddie Wolecki Black said: “I think we thoroughly deserved to win on the night. I don’t think anyone can have any qualms about the final result. I think we got a lot of things right tonight and the weather doesn’t dampen our spirits right now.

“We had to overcome a good side tonight to make it to the next round and it took a lot of effort, a lot of good work and a lot of tactical work for us to get through this tie.

“The players got a wee bit of stick last week from me about the performance but this week I couldn’t fault them because they pushed the game ten-yards further up the park. We made sure that their dangerous players didn’t see much in the way of a counter attack because we contained them well.”

Glasgow City: Lee Alexander, Eilish McSorley, Jo Love, Suzanne Lappin, Nicky Docherty, Suzanne Mulvey (Ruesha Littlejohn), Rachel Corsie, Leanne Ross, Denise O’Sullivan (Christie Murray), Sarah Crilly, Jess Fishlock (Leanne Crichton).

Subs not used: Lisa Robertson, Danni Pagliarulo, Danica Dalziel, Julie Nelson.

Standard Liege: Sabrina Broos, Julie Biesman, Faustine Cartegnie, Aline Zeler, Audrey Demoustier, Sanne Schoenmaker (Taika De Koker), Tessa Wullaert, Vanity Lewerissa (Riete Loos), Julie Gregoire, Cecile De Gernier, Maud Courtereels.

Subs not used: Kelly Ickmans, Elien Neilssen, Kim Mourmans.

Referee: Monika Mularczyk

Attendance: 929


About Author

Loading ...