Glasgow City down Celtic to reach the Scottish Cup Final

Pic: Andy Buist

Pic: Andy Buist

Glasgow City reached the final of the Women’s Scottish Cup Final where they will face Hibernian Ladies, after they beat Celtic 3-0 at Ravenscraig. Goals from Jo Love, Suzanne Mulvey and Suzanne Lappin kept City’s dream of a second successive domestic treble alive.

In the first ten minutes there were chances few and far between as both sides cancelled one another out, and it took eight minutes for the first chance on goal as Celtic’s Emma Brown tried an audacious shot from 25 yards out, but her left foot strike was well wide of Danica Dalziel’s far post.

City also had their chances as Sue Lappin tried her luck from long-range also, before Leanne Crichton also got in on the act but neither could hit the target.

A long through ball on 16 minutes found City’s Denise O’Sullivan, but the Irish striker could only direct her effort wide of Gemma Fay’s goal.

But on 22 minutes the deadlock was broken and in some style, City midfielder Jo Love picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and after flicking the ball up in the air she volleyed home a superb strike into the top left corner, leaving Celtic keeper Gemma Fay flat-footed as she expected it to go wide.

On 25 minutes, Celtic’s Julie Fleeting forced Danica Dalziel into an acrobatic save, before Rhonda Jones was lucky to escape with a yellow card for a horrendous late tackle on City’s Jess Fishlock as the midfielder was close to breaking through Celtic’s back line.

Neither side could muster another serious threat on the other team’s goal as the first half came to an end.

Into the second half and City were close to doubling their lead just two minutes after the restart as a defence splitting ball from Sue Lappin was latched onto by Jess Fishlock, but the Welsh international’s shot was blocked by Gemma Fay who had spotted the danger early and raced off her line.

Two minutes later and another ball from Lappin breached the Celtic defence once again, but the ball was far too strong and Jo Love failed to get on the end of it.

Emma Brown nearly equalised for Celtic on 50 minutes when a cross was flighted to the back post, but she could only direct it into the side netting.

Brown again came close just after the hour mark as she forced Dalziel into another superb save after some slack play at the back from City’s defence.

On 73 minutes, City scored their second of the game as Lappin with another one of her defence splitting passes sent Suzanne Mulvey through on goal and the strier fired a low shot past the onrushing Gemma Fay.

City who were dominant throughout pushed forward looking to add a third and were close to doing just that soon after, when Mulvaney escaped the advances of the Celtic defence down the right before running along the byline and pulling the ball back for Lappin, who really should have done better with her shot as it sailed high and over the bar.

But Eddie Wolecki Black’s side found that third goal in the final minute of the game as Ruesha Littlejohn laid a ball off for Sue Lappin as she side footed past Gemma Fay.

The Cup holders finished off a fine performance when Lappin netted with moments to go after being set up by Ruesha Littlejohn.


About Author


Andy Muirhead is the Editor of Scotzine and the Scottish Football fanzine FITBA. He is the Scottish Football columnist for The Morning Star and has written for a number of other publications including ESPN, Huffington Post UK, BT Life's a Pitch and has had his work featured in the Daily Record, The Scotsman and the Daily Mail.

Loading ...