Caroline Heron scores six as Forfar down Kilwinning



Forfar Farmington went into double figures on Sunday with a thumping 11-1 win over SWPL strugglers Kilwinning, which included a double hat-trick from top scorer Caroline Heron.

Manager Mark Nisbet made two changes from the win against Buchan two weeks previously with Leonie Simpson and Gemma Collier coming in for Ellie Welton and Jade McLaren.

Farmington started off well, Abbi Grant firing straight at the keeper in the fourth minute before Caroline Heron had a great chance but couldn’t connect with Julia Scott’s cross.

Despite the scoreline Kilwinning actually took the lead in the sixth minute, an uncharacteristic error from Leonie Simpson allowed Fiona Woods to fire into an empty net.

But within 20 seconds of the restart Forfar had equalised, ending with Abbi Grant beating a couple of defenders before slotting home.

Two minutes later Forfar had taken the lead, Caroline Heron forcing the ball over the line, the linesman correctly flagging for a goal although the referee should have been quicker to notice the flag rather than let play go on.

Kilwinning were close to drawing level in the 13th minute, Gemma Collier conceding a debatable free kick 20 yards from goal, Jennifer Caldwell drawing a good save from Simpson.

With only a quarter of an hour gone, it was 3-1, a long ball from McDonald found Caren Webster and her cross was fired home by Julia Scott despite a defender’s efforts to clear off the line.

Fay McDonald, Abbi Grant, Aimee Godfrey, Heron and Webster all had chances saved before Heron made it 4-1 with her second, another good cross by Webster was lifted over the keeper and into the net.

Abbi Grant hit the cross-bar minutes before swinging in a cross that Aimee Godfrey rushed into the box to blast home.

Just four minutes into the second half it was six for Forfar and three for Heron, Abbi Grant sent a pass to Scott who laid it off for Heron to slot in the far corner.

Aimee Godfrey had the keeper scrambling minutes later whilst Julia Scott had a goalbound effort palmed over by Halbert although the corner came to nothing.

Kilwinning brought on a sub keeper as they looked to keep the goal tally to a minimum, but her first action of the game was to pick the ball up from the back of the net, as a corner swung in from Webster was cleared by MacLeod, but the clearance cannoned off Grant and in to make it seven.

From the 68th minute, there were four goals in the space of eight minutes, including another hat-trick, Kilwinning plastering about with the ball in defence, Alana Bruce dispossessed her and set up Caroline Heron for her fourth.

Less than a minute later Heron turned to goalmaker, running with the ball down the right flank before sending in a low cross that Godfrey stabbed home.

Heron had her fifth in the 74th minute, a ball into the box was fumbled by the keeper and the league’s top scorer walked across the line for her 33rd goal of the season, putting her several goals ahead of second placed Suzanne Lappin of champions Glasgow City.

It was eleven for Forfar as Heron completed her double hat-trick, a ball from Rigden split the standing defence and Heron took advantage, rounding the keeper and tapping into the empty goal.

Cheryl Rigden, Nicola Davidson and Caren Webster were unlucky not to grab a couple of goals each in the last ten minutes, having eight or nine chances between them go close.

Written by Lee Smith


About Author

Guest Writers are contributors to Scotzine, but not on a regular basis unlike some of our other writers. If you wish to become a Guest Writer on Scotzine, please email us at editor [at] scotzine [dot] com

Loading ...