Forfar Farmington kick off second half of season with a win



Forfar Farmington secured a 4-1 victory over Hutchison Vale this afternoon. With five first team players unavailable, 15-year-old Jade McLaren made her SWPL debut with Nicky Grant, Joanna Collier, Danni McGinley and Emma McCulley all featuring from the start.

Looking to set the tone of the match early on, Farmington looked to be on top during the opening exchanges and could only curse the woodwork in the fifth minute when Danni McGinley turned her marker and thundered an effort off the crossbar from fully 25 yards out.

Ten minutes later a sharp ball was fed up field to McGinley who showed some sharp movement to lay the ball off to Cheryl Rigden, who produced a superlative strike to fire the ball past Danni Downs for the opening goal.

Farmington quickly doubled their lead when Ann Taylor’s surging run and delivery down the left flank was met by McGinley who rounded Downs and slotted the ball home from an acute angle.

Rigden’s work rate continued to cause the visitors problems as Downs had to claw away a dangerously scooped cross.

On the half hour mark the visitors were awarded a free kick just outside the box but fired the set piece over Simpson’s cross bar.

Farmington suffered a blow on the half hour mark when Holly Napier succumbed to injury – being replaced by another SWPL debutant Kayleigh Noble and what a debut she would have.

Three minutes after stepping on the pitch and following a fizzing low shot from McGinley forced Downs into a save but the keeper couldn’t hold onto the ball and Noble followed up to sweep the ball home.

Taylor could have made it four just before the break but pulled her low shot wide of target.

Two minutes into the second half Rigden forced another good block out of Downs, Noble following up with her own effort which Downs also saved.

Rigden then robbed the Hutchie goalkeeper with some smart footwork only for her well delivered cross to evade all blue shirts before being cleared up field.

The industrious McGinley dispossessed the visiting backline and fired in a shot which Downs was equal too, and the keeper proved to be the only thing stopping Emma McCulley from netting via a delicately placed lob.

The visitors started to find some openings in the Farmington backline and only a last ditch tackle from McLaren denied Michelle Russell pulling one back for the Edinburgh side.

Farmington made it four in somewhat fortunate circumstances when a shot from skipper Gemma Collier took a wicked deflection and re-bounded off a Hutchison Vale defender before ending up in the back of the net.

With fifteen minutes left Taylor fired just over from outside the box and Noble fired into the side netting after a tremendous attacking run from Alana Bruce.

Joanna Collier came close to bagging herself a goal, but her shot was just off-target whilst Caroline Heron was unlucky to be robbed of the ball in the throes of letting fly from cross range.

Hutchie pulled a goal back with three minutes left when Laura Gavin ghosted in behind the Farmington back-line to convert a well taken effort. Galbraith could have pulled back a further goal right at the death but fired wide.

Written by Kev Candy


About Author

Guest Writers are contributors to Scotzine, but not on a regular basis unlike some of our other writers. If you wish to become a Guest Writer on Scotzine, please email us at editor [at] scotzine [dot] com

Loading ...