Rangers keep up the pressure on City and Hibs with 10-0 win over Kilwinning


megalfoley1Rangers finished the first half of the season with a resounding 10-0 win over Kilwinning Ladies at Petershill this afternoon.

Right from the whistle, the light blues put the visitors under pressure and a Megan Sneddon strike forced an early save before the follow-up shot by Karen Penglase was blasted over the bar.

The home team only had to wait a further two minutes for their opener – Megan Foley controlling and finishing a Lesley Condie cross to give Rangers an early lead. Megan Sneddon doubled that lead five minutes later with a fantastic 20-yard strike into the top corner of the Ayrshire side’s goal.

With only twenty minutes on the clock, Rangers were firmly in control of the game with a three goal lead. Lisa Swanson made a great run down the right flank and crossed the ball into the penalty box, after an initial clearance, the ball broke to Hollie Thomson who drove her shot into the bottom corner of the goal. The score remained 3-0 until seven minutes after the break, Foley’s second of the game another strike from distance, which got the better of the Kilwinning keeper.

Rangers’ fifth came from captain Michelle Barr who fired in a fantastic header from a Penglase corner. The lead was then extended further by Lesley Condie another header from a well-taken corner to give the two defenders their first competitive goals for the season.

The seventh goal of the game was another spectacular strike, Lisa Swanson adding hers to the tally with a 25-yard strike which curled and dipped in just under the bar.

With twenty minutes remaining Foley completed her hat trick. Megan Sneddon played in the striker who coolly finished when left one on one with the keeper.

Three minutes later substitute Rachel Halliday scored her fourth of the season, her pressure on the keeper forced a mistake which she tapped in from close range. With only three minutes left, Thomson added her second of the match and took the Gers lead to double figures. Her drive from midfield finished with a delightful lob over the keeper and into the back of the net.

Speaking after the match assistant coach Gillian Campbell was delighted with the team’s performance: “This was a great way to finish for the summer break. Right from the whistle we played with a good intensity and created lots of chances, we scored some fantastic goals and kept a clean sheet too. Kilwinning battled right till the end but our quality and movement made it a very difficult afternoon for them. It’s really pleasing to see goals coming from so many different players and confidence should be high going into the second half of the season where we face each of the other top six teams twice.”

Match Highlights


About Author


Andy Muirhead is the Editor of Scotzine and the Scottish Football fanzine FITBA. He is the Scottish Football columnist for The Morning Star and has written for a number of other publications including ESPN, Huffington Post UK, BT Life's a Pitch and has had his work featured in the Daily Record, The Scotsman and the Daily Mail.

Loading ...