Rangers Ladies held to a goalless draw by Forfar Farmington

Pic: Donald Wilson | Scotzine.com

Pic: Donald Wilson | Scotzine.com

After battling hard and dominating play for 90 minutes, at Petershill Park, Rangers came away from the game with only the one point for their efforts, held to a goalless draw by Forfar Farmington.

Rangers started the game brightly with two chances in the opening minute from Kathryn Hill. A long-range shot after good play to win the ball in midfield and a shot from an early corner were both held safely by the Forfar ‘Keeper.

Rangers dominance continued for the opening ten minutes before Forfar Farmington recorded their first chance, a shot which was blasted well over the bar.

The Gers regained their pressure and another chance for Hill. Her shot again held well by the keeper.

The home side came close to breaking deadlock on the half hour mark when a long ball from Hollie Thomson found Kathryn Hill on the right-wing. Hill’s shot hit the back post and looked to be deflecting into the goal but was quickly cleared off the line by the Forfar defence and the score remained 0-0.

Five minutes from half time, Rangers were again foiled by the woodwork as after good play from Megan Sneddon, Karen Penglase’s shot from the half way line rattled back off the crossbar.

Forfar came out in the second half intent on reversing the light blues’ stronghold on the game but their efforts were unable to penetrate the Rangers’ defence.

In what was a frustrating afternoon for Rangers, they were once again denied by the crossbar. Jill Paterson free kick found Natalie Ross whose attempt hit the bar and went over.

With ten minutes remaining, the midfield battle continued as both teams looked for the goal that would win the game but neither were able to capitalize.

It was a relatively quiet afternoon for Khym Ramsay in goals for Rangers, as she was required only once to make a good reaction save in a one on one situation to keep things on level terms. At the other end of the pitch in the closing stages of the game, the Forfar goalie kept her side on-track for a point with a finger tip save to push a Lisa Swanson strike wide of the post. Another excellent double save from Welton thwarted attempts from Ross and Swanson.

Rangers looked to get a late winner as a free kick found its way to Hayley Cunningham but for the fourth time in the game, the ball struck the woodwork to deny the home side.

A frustrated Angie Hind commented on her teams’ performance: “I think in football we all have one of those days – today was certainly one of them. I don’t think we could have done much more to win the game. We threw everything at them, hit the woodwork on numerous occasions and even in the final seconds were still fighting to be on the end of a cross.

“I thought the effort and work rate of the team today was fantastic. Whilst we felt we deserved much more it’s another point in the league and we continue to move forward.”

Written by Mary Anne Orr at Petershill


About Author

Guest Writers are contributors to Scotzine, but not on a regular basis unlike some of our other writers. If you wish to become a Guest Writer on Scotzine, please email us at editor [at] scotzine [dot] com

Loading ...