Tonight all eyes will be on the Mikkel Kessler/Carl Froch fight in London but on the under card is one of my favourite fighters – Liverpudlian Tony Bellew.
He is back, in his own rematch against Isaac Chilemba in a world title fight eliminator and Commonwealth title defence. Bellew is an honest man with a great pedigree but also has shown through those two fights with Ovill Mckenzie that he has a variety of skills in his gloves.
The last fight against Chilemba was a scored draw and truth be told, Bellew was nowhere near his best. He came close to losing but it was losing and not being beaten. Here I have a wee look at 12 wee things you might not know about a man who could be world champ by the end of the year!
1. Tony Bellew had a pretty decent amateur career and is a three times ABA Heavyweight Champion.
2. One of his all time heroes is John Conteh. Conteh keeps a keen eye on Bellew’s career. (Conteh once played the narrator in Willie Russell’s musical, Blood Brothers – I know cos I seen him!)
3. In March 2010 Bellew became Commonwealth light heavyweight champion against Atoli Moore in Liverpool.
4. His only professional loss was in a world title fight when he took on Welshman Nathan Cleverly – before the fight there was no love lost between them but afterwards Bellew was gracious in defeat though wants another crack at Cleverly.
5. His only professional draw came last time out against Isaac Chilemba for the Commonwealth strap which Bellew retained- Bellew was incensed at the decision and had believed that he had won, it was a very close call but I don’t think he had lost.
6. His fight against Chilemba is a WBC title eliminator as Bellew is the WBC silver intercontinental belt holder.
7. In his last rematch – against Ovill Mackenzie – it was expected that Bellew would come in and have another war but the chess battle he conducted convinced many he had skills to dictate a fight as well as battle one out.
8. He has never fought professionally outside of the UK.
9. His ring music is the Z cars theme tune which is also the anthem of his beloved Everton Football Club.
10. It is rumoured that, should Bellew win he will face the winner of Chad Dawson and Adonis Stevenson for the WBC version of the light heavyweight title.
11. Bellew won’t have to wait long to find out who as they fight on the 8th of June. Bellew fancies it will be Chad Dawson.
12. As Ali once said – I can predict future history – and I predict that Tony Bellew will be sitting down to Christmas dinner this year with a belt on the mantelpiece that didn’t come from Santa.