Rangers up to third after beating Falkirk 3-0 in SWPL


rangers-logoRangers have leapfrogged Forfar Farmington into third position in the league after securing a 3-0 victory over Falkirk.

Early on, Falkirk tried to make their presence felt in as two early free kicks in dangerous areas allowed for them to try to break the deadlock early on but the Rangers defence stood strong. It didn’t take long for Rangers to settle into the game as they found their first shot, from Karen Penglase, go just wide of the target.

Hayley Cunningham and Natalie Ross linked well to take Rangers forward but Kathryn Hill’s long-range effort was safely held by the Falkirk ‘keeper.

As the first half continued both teams looked to break forward but were unable to make their efforts count in the final third.

Rangers came close to opening the scoring after twenty minutes. Lesley Condie’s free kick found Hollie Thomson who then set Kathryn Hill up for another long range shot. Hill’s effort was foiled by the cross-bar.

The first half remained quiet until five minutes before half time, when Karen Penglase crossed the ball in to the box where a number of Rangers players were waiting. It was Natalie Ross who raised highest to head home the opener.

The goal seemed to spur Rangers on as moments later, they almost doubled their lead. Natalie Ross broke free from the Falkirk defence and found herself one-on-one with the goalkeeper however, her shot was blocked and Lisa Swanson’s rebound effort was cleared off the line. Rangers lead 1-0 at the interval.

Looking to build on their lead in the second half, Rangers made another substitution as Leeanne Hughes was introduced in place of Lisa Swanson.

As the second half got underway, Rangers had a number of chances but were unable to capitalise on them until the hour mark. Cunningham worked her way inside from the left flank, drifting past the Falkirk defence and blasting past the ‘Keeper.

Rangers were again frustrated as Cunningham’s shot was blocked and Megan Foley’s follow up effort was saved well and diverted away from goal.

However, Rangers kept their pressure on Falkirk and it paid off. A corner from Hayley Cunningham caused problems as Falkirk scrambled to clear the line, there was a clever pass from Amy Lindsay to play in Natalie Ross and allowed a pass across the face of goal for Leeanne Hughes to tap in.

Rangers continued their pressure and as Falkirk looked to get something from the game, they were unable to trouble Ramsay.

Rangers head coach Angie Hind, reflected on the match, she said: “First and foremost we are happy to have another win. Three great goals and another three points and whilst I would have hoped we could have converted more of our opportunities it’s pleasing to get the win.”

Rangers: Ramsay, Penglase, Riley, Barr, L.Condie (Lindsay, 30), Ross (Halliday,73), Thomson (J.Condie, 87), Hill, Foley, Cunningham, Swanson (Hughes ,45)

Subs not used: McGill, Storrie, James

Written by Mary Anne Orr


About Author

Guest Writers are contributors to Scotzine, but not on a regular basis unlike some of our other writers. If you wish to become a Guest Writer on Scotzine, please email us at editor [at] scotzine [dot] com

Loading ...