Celtic Ladies comfortably beaten by dominant Glasgow City

Pic: Phil McCloy | Scotzine.com

Pic: Phil McCloy | Scotzine.com

Last week’s cup game between the two sides may have looked a close affair given the result, but today’s league game saw City run out comfortable 3-0 winners over Celtic. Two goals from Ruesha Littlejohn and one from Lisa Robertson secured all three points for Eddie Wolecki Black’s side.

In true Scottish summer style, it was battering it down with rain at a cold Petershill Park, as Glasgow City played host to Celtic for the second time in two weeks.

Celtic made one change from the side that last to City last week, with Suzanne Grant coming in for Carla Jackson. While City made an enforced change as Danica Dalziel came in for Eilish McSorley who is still suffering the effects of concussion from last week’s game.

The game started with only one match official, as there was a slight delay with the referee held up by traffic.

With eight minutes on the clock, Celtic were awarded a free kick some 25 yards from goal after a late challenge from Danni Pagliarulo on Celtic’s Emily Thomson. Celtic 16 took the resulting free kick but her set piece sailed well over the bar.

With chances at a premium in the opening exchanges of the game, City’s Leanne Ross tested Gemma Fay from 25 yards out with a long-range shot, but the Scotland international saved it comfortably.

However, the deadlock was broken a minute later as a cross fell kindly to Ruesha Littlejohn at the far post, who fired low past Fay to give City the lead.

Just over half an hour gone and City made it 2-0, after some good play down the right by Suzanne Malone, the ball was crossed into the box where Lisa Robertson hit a shot on the swivel, however her first strike was blocked but at the second attempt she fired past Gemma Fay who could not get enough on the ball to keep it out.

On the stroke of half time, Celtic broke forward but Heather Richards was well offside, but with the referee behind play and the linesman part of the Celtic backroom staff – no flag was raised, the Celtic player had the chance to pull a goal back for Peter Caulfield’s side but her shot was wide of the City near post.

Pic: Phil McCloy | Scotzine.com

Pic: Phil McCloy | Scotzine.com

Into the second half and we saw a change of referee with Nicolle Andrews finally arriving.

On 53 minutes, Celtic defender Rhonda Jones seemed to hesitate when a long ball came her way, with no Fay coming out to collect, Suzanne Malone got a foot to the ball but could only direct it the wrong side of the far post.

Two minutes later and City extended their lead as Ruesha Littlejohn, scoring her second of the game, rifled her shot past Fay in the Celtic goal.

75 minutes gone and City tested Gemma Fay in the Celtic goal, this time with a long-range shot from Malone, but the Celtic keeper tipped the ball round the post and out for a corner.

Soon after another long-range strike from Malone deflected just over the Celtic bar.

Celtic made their first change of the game with Chloe Arthur making way for Carla Jackson on 77 minutes.

With ten minutes remaining and Celtic pegged, Black’s side resorted to another long-range shot this time through Jo Love, but Fay comfortably gathered the ball.

Celtic made their second change of the game taking Harrison off for Rachel O’Neill.

The first booking of the game was handed to Nic Docherty after a contentious decision by the referee, awarded Celtic a free kick some 20 yards from goal. From the resulting free kick the ball was once again struck well over the bar.

City were close to adding to their three goals, when a free kick from Leanne Crichton was flighted towards Lisa Robertson who laid it off to Suzanne Lappin, but her snap shot was saved by Fay.

That was the final chance of the game, as City ran out comfortable winners against a Celtic side that provided little threat in the second half.

After the match, City manager Eddie Wolecki Black said, “I am delighted with the result but I am more delighted with the performance as it is as dominant as we have been all season. The girls obviously had taken a bit of stick last week as many people outwith our club had questioned whether we were still the team to beat. I think today we proved that we are a team that still has a lot of football in them, still competitive and still very capable of winning Championships. To limit a big rival in a very important match to no shots on target and three shots in the entire game, is very pleasing and we used our advantages very well today and I think we were far from predictable. ”

Glasgow City – 1. L Alexander,18. D Dalziel, 4. D Pagliarulo, 11. N Docherty, 16. L Ross, 8. L Crichton, 10. S Lappin, 13. S Malone, 6. J Love, 3. L Robertson, 9. R Littlejohn.

Subs: 12. Julie Melrose, 19. Sarah Crilly, 17. Cheryl Gallagher, 5. Eilish McSorley, 20. Ciara Barnes, 21. Laura Williamson [GK]

Celtic – 1. G Fay, 6. C Craig, 3. R Jones, 15. K Clark, 25. E Brownlee, 10. E Thomson, 77. C Arthur, 99. S Grant, 23. H Richards, 7. A Harrison, 16. M McKean.

Subs: 8. Mairead Fulton, 18. Chloe Logan [GK], 21. Rachel O’Neill, 31. Fiona Brown, 17. Carla Jackson.

Player of the Match: Ruesha Littlejohn [Glasgow City]

Referee: Nicolle Andrews

For more match photographs by Phil McCloy for Scotzine check out our official Flickr site


About Author


Andy Muirhead is the Editor of Scotzine and the Scottish Football fanzine FITBA. He is the Scottish Football columnist for The Morning Star and has written for a number of other publications including ESPN, Huffington Post UK, BT Life's a Pitch and has had his work featured in the Daily Record, The Scotsman and the Daily Mail.

Loading ...