Forfar Farmington secure second spot with 3-0 win over Aberdeen


Forfar Farmington made their 2nd trip of the season to Aberdeen Sports Village to face an Aberdeen side who had proven themselves to be tough nuts to crack previously.

A 1-1 draw in the first half of season was followed up by a narrow 1-0 win for Farmington at Station Park, so the match was nicely poised at kick off.

The visitors’ first chance arrived in the 5th minute when Julia Scott’s devilment wide saw her cut back ball shot on goal with Lauren Sangster doing well to block both the initial shot and rebound.

The next quarter of an hour was a fairly even affair with Dons’ skipper Susan Murray maintaining her sides excellent defensive posture.

A surging 21st minute run from Rachael Small earned her side a corner, with both the initial delivery and subsequent follow-up from McDonald being knocked clear of the danger zone.

The same sequence would follow four minutes later when Aimee Godfrey turned Aimee Ross, with no less than three efforts on goal being stoutly defended. Godfrey teed up Scott in the 28th minute but the Farmington winger couldn’t get a shot off before being closed down.

A minute later Nicky Grant could only watch as her lofted shot cracked Sangster’s cross bar, with Scott firing high and wide soon after following some good lead up play from Alana Bruce and Rachael Small.

Bruce would have a hand in the opening goal which arrived three minutes later when her reverse pass allowed Lucy Graham to spring the home off-side trap. The SWPL Players Player of the Year nominee bore down on Sangster’s goal before coolly finishing into the bottom corner of the net.

Farmington doubled their lead two minutes from half time when Godfrey’s cross squirmed clear of Sangster with Nicky Grant on hand to poke home the loose ball.

The visitors had a great opportunity to go three up in the first minute of the second half; Bruce’s cross evading Abbi Grant and Scott, with Godfrey eventually firing off a shot which Sangster did well to save low to her right hand side.

The Aberdeen custodian did well again in the 60th minute when Kelly Clark’s header from a Scott corner was well fielded.

Substitutes Caroline Heron and Caren Webster both made an immediate impact following their introduction with Heron’s cross ball being curled off target by Scott, with Webster’s own ball having no takers after a surging attacking run.

Aberdeen very nearly pulled one back in the 76th minute when Claire Martin’s low out swinging strike was expertly pushed round her post by a fully stretched Cat Fitzsimmons.

Two minutes later Heron’s lob just sneaked over the bar, but Farmington would secure a third goal in the 82nd minute. Small’s wing ball was crossed by Heron to Lucy Graham who controlled the ball before dispatching it past Sangster – with the appeals for a hand ball decision being waved away by the match official.

With the three points secured a tense fifteen minutes passed until the result from the delayed kick off match between Hibs and Celtic was confirmed – Meaning a 2nd place finish for Forfar Farmington.

Report by Kev Candy


About Author

Guest Writers are contributors to Scotzine, but not on a regular basis unlike some of our other writers. If you wish to become a Guest Writer on Scotzine, please email us at editor [at] scotzine [dot] com

Loading ...