Taylor misses open goal in New Douglas Park Stalemate


[media-credit name=”© Phil McCloy” align=”aligncenter” width=”600″][/media-credit]
A goal on four minutes from Lyle Taylor had put Falkirk in front before Jon Routledge equalised mid-way through the first half. Taylor managed to hit the post with an open goal in the second half, leaving Hamilton still without a win after five games and Falkirk trailing 11 points behind league leaders Partick Thistle.

Hamilton had the first chance of the match when Louis Longridge found himself in the box through on goal but he could only shoot straight at McGovern in goal. Three minutes later Longridge got another opportunity to put Accies in front when a terrific cross ball from Stevie May landed neatly in front of Longridge who should have squared it back to May who was open at the other end of the box, but instead he took a shot which went narrowly wide.

The first goal of the game went against the run of play as Falkirk took the lead on five minutes with their first shot on goal. Summer signing sensation Lyle Taylor scored from 8 yards out as he powered his shot straight down the middle having received the ball from an Andrew Haworth pass.

Accies tried to reply through Stevie May who took a speculative shot from 30 yards out which swayed well wide of goal. With Hamilton pushing forward, Falkirk took advantage of the space at the back with Taylor passing up three opportunities to
increase the Bairns lead.

His first missed chance came from a well taken corner which fell to him neatly at the front post; however he could only volley the ball into the side netting. A minute later he had another great chance to add to his tally as he found himself again on goal;
however Cuthbert did well to initially save the first shot before having to again save from Taylor’s second effort as he failed to chip the keeper.

Hamilton thought they had equalised through Sean Higgins on 23 minutes, however his goal was ruled offside. But Accies were not to be denied and took the lead on 42 minutes through Jon Routledge. Some neat passing play on the edge of the box, got Routledge some space and he utilised it well as he curled a lovely shot into the top corner past a helpless McGovern.

Stevie May had the first opportunity of the second half within 30 seconds of the restart as he found space in the box to hit a love drive towards the far bottom corner however his shot went just wide.

May again had another chance to put Hamilton in front on 60 minutes when a great cross ball from Gary Fraser found him in the box, but he headed straight into the hands of McGovern.

Lyle Taylor managed to miss an open goal on 63 minutes as he rounded the keeper and only had to slot the ball into an empty net, yet somehow his shot hit of the post and out for a goal kick.

Falkirk could have retaken the lead through Andrew Haworth on 66 minutes but his shot from 25 yards out was palmed away by the keeper.

Hamilton’s big chance of the second half fell to Stevie May on 75 minutes. May did superb to take down a high ball, beat the defender before volleying the ball towards the top corner, however somehow McGovern managed to pull off a great fingertip save to put the ball out for a corner.

The last 15 minutes of the match saw Hamilton do their best to take the lead, however Falkirk sat in and managed to thwart them of any great chances towards the end of the match.

After the game, Hamilton manager Billy Reid was happy with his player’s performance and thought they should have got the three points: “We started well, made three chances almost scored. The first time Falkirk go up the park on the attack you think, here we go, so it took us a wee bit of time, we had the lost the game for 10 minutes. But the guys managed to get back in the game and Jon had a superb goal, the boy took it well, an absolutely fantastic goal.”

Steven Pressley thought his team had done enough to win: “I thought we created a lot of opportunities, considering the way the team played. In the opening half hour we were exceptional and we could have possibly put the game out of sight. We have to give Hamilton credit; they came back into the game and made themselves a few opportunities. I still think we did enough to win the game. But over the piece, we still have a long way to go.”

Hamilton: Kevin Cuthbert, Ziggy Gordon, Stephen Hendrie, Gary Fisher (Grant Gillespie), Lee Kilday, Jon Routledge, James Keatings (Jon McShane), Gary Fraser (Ali Crawford), Louis Longridge, Alex Neil, Stevie May.

Subs not used: Scott Christie, Michael Devlin,

Falkirk: Michael McGovern, David Weatherston (Kris Faulds), Stephen Kingsley, Jonathan Flynn, Christ Smith, Stewart Murdoch, Andrew Haworth, Craig Sibbald, Lyle Taylor, Sean Higgins (Jordan White), Blair Alston.

Subs not used: Graham Bowman, Kieran Duffie, Luke Leahy.

Referee: John Beaton

Attendance: 1174

Check out Phil McCloy’s match photos from New Douglas Park for Scotzine


About Author

Loading ...