Queens Park 1-0 Clyde


The hosts dominated the early exchanges and with 15 minutes in Watt had a low effort parried by Jamie Barclay.

With 23 minutes on the clock the Spiders came even closer to breaking the deadlock after Tony Quinn headed over the bar after getting on the end of a Sean Burns corner.

Three minutes later the home sides pressure paid off when Watt opened the scoring in spectacular style with a fantastic right footed shot which flew past Barclay into the top left hand corner.

Clyde gaffer Jim Duffy must have been concerned watching on as his troops were struggling with wave after wave of Queens attacks.

Andy Robertson came close to doubling the Spiders lead when his low left-wing cross-cum-shot shaved the left hand post.

Six minutes later Robertson had to perform heroics at the other hand when he cleared a John Neil header off the line.

Gardner Speirs side went in at the break in front though he may have been slightly concerned they were unable to build on their single goal lead.

And the pattern of play was to continue into the second half with the hosts dominating and in 48 minutes gone Sean Burns had an effort which just went wide.

Ten minutes later Watt came close to making it 2-0 only to be denied by a fine save from Barclay.

However as the second half wore on the visitors upped their game as they sought the equaliser.

With 11 minutes remaining Clyde’s substitute trialist Keiran McDonald came within a sniff of drawing the Cumbernauld men level but he shot wide after being set up by Kevin Watt.

And the Spiders managed to hold on and secure the three points continuing to hold the Indian sign over Clyde with their eight successive victory in this fixture.

Afterwards goalscoring hero Watt was beaming with pride saying: “My overall game is all about confidence and I thank the gaffer for keeping faith with me after my poor performance in our last match. I love this club as they have gave me an opportunity and just want to keep on doing well.”

Watt also expressed his desire to maintain his form especially with a visit to Ibrox around the corner. He added: “I was at Rangers when I was younger and I’ve got a point to prove against some people there.”

Queens manager Speirs praised his side for their determination to come out on top. He said: “We played as well in the first half as we have all season though in the second we gave them encouragement by being too sloppy. It was a great goal from Ian Watt, he thoroughly deserved man of the match.”

Disappointed Clyde boss Jim Duffy said: “It was very frustrating, there wasn’t much between the teams and I felt we were too erratic lacking composure particularly in the final third.”

Queens Park: Parry, Little, Robertson, Bradley, Brough, Keenan, Watt, Anderson, Quinn, Longworth, Burns.

Subs: Kennedy, Capuano, Shankland, Ronald, Lochead

Clyde: Barclay, Brown, Kane, Wedderburn, Marsh, Hay, Neil, Masterton, Watt, Gilfillan, McColm.

Subs: McCluskey, Sweeney, Macbeth, Trialist, Rajovic

Referee: Kevin Graham

Att: 907


About Author

Guest Writers are contributors to Scotzine, but not on a regular basis unlike some of our other writers. If you wish to become a Guest Writer on Scotzine, please email us at editor [at] scotzine [dot] com

Loading ...