Scottish Communities League Cup – Round One Review


It started with the latest member of the SPL taking on Third Division opposition and failing to score in regulation time or extra time before winning through on penalties. Peterhead 0 Dundee 0 (Dundee won 4 – 1 on penalties). It was on the last day in July that Dundee scraped through and the Blue Toon by all accounts had the better chances, they even had the ball in the back of the net! But there was not to be an upset… Dundee will face another Third Division side in Queens Park in the next round after Queens Park 3 Airdrie United 2 (After Extra Time). In an enthralling contest the Third Division side put out the new First Division team thanks to James Brough cancelling out a Nathan Blockley opener for the visitors. Alan Cook quickly put Airdrie ahead before Lawrence Shankland got the equaliser in the 88th minute and James Brough got the fifth of the game and the winner for Queens Park in the first half of Extra Time.

At the other end of the week Rangers 4 East Fife 0 saw the new Third Division side sweep aside their Second Division opponents thanks to Lee McCulloch twice, a Dean Shiels first goal for his new team and Lee Wallace. The draw has thrown up an amazing clash as Rangers will host Falkirk after they won Falkirk 2 Elgin City 0 as Stephen Kingsley and Lyle Taylor waited until the second half to make progress assured. What is remarkable is that this is the same tie – reversed in terms of the home team – for the Ramsden’s Cup!

In the goals total game of the round down in the South West there was a bit of déjà vu for Stranraer. Last season in the first round of the Ramsden’s Cup, Greenock Morton went down the coast and won 9-0. This year it was not quite as bad and though in a different competition it was Stranraer 0 Livingston 8. The roll call included three for Marc McNulty, two apiece for Jordan Morton and Ian Russell and only one for Kevin McCann. They are rewarded in welcoming Dumbarton who progressed thanks to Dumbarton 2 Albion Rovers 0. It took one from Bryan Prunty and one from his strike partner James Lister to send the wee Rovers out.

At New Douglas Park Hamilton return home after Hamilton Academical 2 Annan Athletic 0. The home side got through thanks to goals from Jon Routledge and Darian McKinnon on the 2nd half. Their opponents in the second round, Partick Thistle had the same score line as they progressed away from home with Forfar Athletic 0 Partick Thistle 2. Chris Erskine and Steven Lawless, both in the first half, helped the Jags through.

SPL sides now begin their assault on the competition and St Mirren join in with their home draw against Ayr United. Ayr’s progress came thanks to a delightful victory in Ayr United 6 Clyde 1. John Neil got Clyde’s consolation as Michael Moffat and David Sinclair got two apiece, Jonathon Tiffoney and David Winters getting the other two. It is the second time these sides have met in this competition in two years at New St Mirren Park. Danny Lennon will be hoping that it ends with a different result this year.

Up in the Highlands there is a form of derby as Paul Sheerin’s side got through in Arbroath 1 Stirling Albion 1 (Arbroath won 3-2 on penalties). Paul Currie for Arbroath and Mark Ferry for Stirling got the goals in normal time. Their reward is to entertain Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the next round. New SPL club, Ross County will also be at home as they have been drawn to the victors from Raith Rovers 4 Berwick Rangers 3. It was far from plain sailing for the Kirkcaldy side as Lee Currie put the Borderers in the lead before Brian Graham equalised in the first half. It was in the second that things got interesting. Phillip Addison Put Rangers ahead before Douglas Hill pulled one back for Rovers.  Lee Currie made it 3-2 Rangers before Brain Graham equalised and then Pat Clarke got Rovers through in the 85th minute.

Craig Brown’s Aberdeen will not relish their visit to Greenock as East Stirling 1 Greenock Morton 5 gave them their hosts in the next round. Allan Moore’s team dominated as 5 goals went in from 5 players including Mark McLaughlin, Peter Weatherson, Stephen Stirling and Michael Tidser. Michael Herd got the consolation for the home side. Another SPL side and defending Cup Holders, Kilmarnock will be at home to the Warriors after Stenhousemuir 4 Brechin City 0. Jim Weir’s side were blasted after their cup heroics against Rangers the week before. John Gemmell got the first in the very first minute and this was followed up by a Darren Smith double and a Stewart Kean penalty.

In yet ANOTHER high scoring game Queen of the South went through with Queen of the South 5 Alloa Athletic 2. Nobody will read that much into a game that saw two new boys of the second division playing but the Doonhamers eventually shook off Paul Hartley’s men thanks to goals from Chris Mitchell in the first the  Chris Higgins in the second which came in reply to a Ben Gordon equaliser. Martin Grehan put the visitors ahead and going into the last ten minutes that is how it was. A Nicky Clarke double as well as one from Derek Lyle put them out and allowed Queens to draw Hibs at home in the next round.

Finally Third Division Montrose managed to squeeze past the First Division new boys in Montrose 2 Cowdenbeath 1. Montrose had gone two up through Martin Boyle and Paul Watson in the first half. Marc McKenzie got a consolation for Cowdenbeath in the final minute to set up a nervous ending but the Gable Endies held on to set up a next round visit to Dunfermline.


About Author

A lifelong supporter, since seeing Alex Ferguson play for them, of Ayr United he now contributes here, at KickTalk and Ringside Reports for things sporty. He is also a theatrical type and an educationalist. As an Ayr fan he clearly can explain the inexplicable, place fanatical faith in the most fantastic of dreams and deal with dark periods of depression and disappointment. Perfect as a teacher..

Loading ...