Ramsdens Cup: Brechin City 1 The New Rangers FC 2


After months of wrangling, The New Rangers FC were finally able to kick a ball in anger again. And they made the perfect start after only four minutes.

A through ball from McCulloch was latched onto by Andy Little who calmly side-footed the ball past goalkeeper Michael Andrews.

Brechin almost hit back immediately when Andy Jackson set up Craig Molloy but his low shot was well saved by Neil Alexander.

Further chances were created throughout the first half as McCulloch shot wide and full-backs Kirk Broadfoot and Lee Wallace both forced Andrews into good saves.

The Rangers FC were left to rue those missed chances three minutes before half-time as some horrible defending allowed the home side to grab an equaliser. A ball over the top from Ewan Moyes coupled with some dreadful decision-making from Dorin Goian enabled Jackson to nip in and slot the ball home to make it 1-1.

The second half began with new signing Ian Black forcing Andrews into a good save as he tipped away the former Hearts midfielder’s free-kick.

Black along with opening goalscorer Andy Little were playing as trialists with The Rangers FC still not having gained full membership of the SFA.

Black then missed a good chance when he met Wallace’s cut-back from the left-wing but he couldn’t keep his shot on target.

As the game wore on many of the third division side’s players began to look tired due to the lack of pre-season games and training.

Alexander made a good save from a Jonathan Brown free-kick before The Rangers FC were denied what looked like a penalty by referee George Salmond.

After youngster Lewis MacLeod’s shot was saved, the ball broke to McCulloch in the box and his shot appeared to hit Paul McLean on the arm, but he waved away their appeals.

With the game deadlocked after 90 minutes, extra time begun.

Brechin began to believe and David McKenna’s shot was only just deflected over the crossbar.

But it was The Rangers FC who were left smiling after 102 minutes when McCulloch rose highest from a MacLeod corner to ensure Rangers place in tomorrow’s second round draw.

Their journey back to the top has only just started.

Brechin: Andrews, McLean, Moyes, McLauchlan, Brown, R Stewart (J Stewart 82), Brady, Molloy, Carcary (Dalziel 62), McKenna (Fusco 111), Jackson.

Rangers: Alexander, Broadfoot, Goian, Bocanegra, Wallace, Hutton, Black, Macleod, McKay (Naismith), Little (Crawford), McCulloch.

Attendance: 4,070

Referee: George Salmond


About Author

Ewan is a third year Journalism student at Glasgow Caledonian University. A Rangers season ticker holder, he is interested in all things related to Scottish Football, but also writes about the English Championship.

Loading ...