Glasgow City march on in the SWPL before Champions League campaign


[media-credit name=”© Phil McCloy” align=”alignleft” width=”277″][/media-credit]Head Coach Eddie Wolecki Black said: “The first half I felt it showed that we had played three games within a week recently. However, at half time we had a chat with the girls and we were far better in the second half and dominated the game. We had a couple of really good performances in the second period and that was very pleasing.

“The good news for the team now is that we leave for Europe top of the table and we will return top of the table as we are six points clear. The girls can now fully focus on the job ahead in the Champions League.”

City’s closest chance in the opening minutes came through midfielder Jo Love, but she shot just past the Forfar keeper’s left hand post from the edge of the box after being set up by Emma Mitchell.

On 17 minutes Mitchell also had a strike from distance but her effort went safely into the hands of Catherine Fitzsimmons in the Forfar goals.

Forfar’s first real and probably only chance of the match came on 24 minutes when Lucie Graham hit a high looping shot from over 25 yards out, which flew over Claire Johnstone in the City goals and against the cross bar.

Moments later and City’s Love did the same as she cannoned a right foot effort off the cross-bar after a powerful shot from distance.

Mitchell then went close a further twice as the pressure was starting to mount on the Forfar backline. On 38 minutes the home side eventually got the goal their possession deserved when Danica Dalziel hit a low powerful shot into the bottom corner from 22 yards out.

[media-credit name=”© Jim Lang” align=”alignleft” width=”300″][/media-credit]Just on the stroke of half time, some great play by the impressive Leanne Crichton released Julie Melrose, but the City attacker failed to get a proper hold of the ball and Fitzsimmons came out to smother the danger.

At the start of the second half Jennifer Callaghan went close for City after good play between her and Mitchell and it was not long before Mitchell, who was having a fantastic game was involved again as she scored a peach of a second for City.

Dalziel released Emma Fernon down the right and the full back cut the ball back to Mitchell on the edge and the City striker curled a beautiful shot with pace into the opposite top corner of the net, leaving the diving Fitzsimmons with no chance.

Ten minutes later and it was 3-0 to City as good perseverance from Fernon gave her an opportunity inside the box and the defender hit a well placed right foot shot into the bottom corner to give her side a comfortable lead with 27 minutes left.

Forfar’s only venture in the City defensive third in the second half came as defender Rachael Small went on a great run from her own half, but she was marshalled all the way by Crichton who eventually shielded the ball out for a City goal kick. It was magnificent defensive cover from the cool and composed midfielder and highlighted her all round excellent performance on the day.

[media-credit name=”© Phil McCloy” align=”alignleft” width=”300″][/media-credit]On 71 minutes Glasgow City made it 4-0 as Julie Melrose headed home a back post cross from substitute Leanne Ross.

Clever play by Ross in the box almost gave City a fifth but Fitzsimmons got down quickly to save her shot. Moments from the end Mitchell nearly got her second, but struck the post with another powerful effort.

For more match photos from the match check out all our official Flickr website, photos courtesy of Phil McCloy and Jim Lang.


About Author

Laura Montgomery

General Manager of Glasgow City FC Ladies team.

Loading ...