SFL Weekend Review: Saturday 5th May 2012



Queen of the South 3 Ross County 5 was a high scoring and highly entertaining game. The Doonhamers said goodbye to the First Division with Danny Carmichael putting them ahead after 10 minutes, Stuart Kettlewell then levelling, Sam Parkin then put the home side ahead before Michael Gardyne drew it back again for the visitors. Gavin Reilly made it 3-2 for Queens after the break before Colin McMenamin, Michael Gardyne and a late Kurtis Byrne goal killed off the Dumfries men. New manager, Allan Johnstone completed his first game in charge of the squad and up against the Manager of the Year, Derek Adams did well. The news that Queens are to remain full-time should make them favourites to do a Colin Cameron style return next year.

Dundee 1 Livingston 0 had Jamie Reid seal 2nd place for the Dees in the 48th minute. Clearly Barry Smith is ready to build for next year. Falkirk 3 Ayr United 2 saw Tam Scobie wave farewell to the Bairns thanks to a 7th minute penalty he converted. Michael Moffat then equalised in 51 minutes before Farid El Alugui made it 2-1. Blair Alston made it 3-1 for the home side before Moffat got a 2nd for Ayr in the 81st. It was a tense end but the youngsters from Falkirk held on against the youngsters from Ayr.

Hamilton Academical 2 Partick Thistle 2 had Accies 2 up through Daniel Redmond and Jon McShane but then were brought back to equal pegging thanks to Stuart Bannigan and Sean Welsh. This was all in the first half! In the 77th minute Mark McLaughlin got sent off for Accies but the 10 man team held on. Greenock Morton 1 Raith Rovers 3 was a strange encounter with the scoreline making it look easier for the visitors than it actually was. Jamie Walker put Raith ahead with the only goal of the first half, Pat Clarke then killed the game with 2 goals in 2 minutes before Lewis Hawke got a consolation for the Ton. Allan Moore was a raging man at the end whilst John McGlynn will be looking towards next year knowing the 2 who scored against Morton will be back at their parent clubs.


Cowdenbeath 0 Airdrie United 0 got Airdrie the play off spot but it was highly dangerous as Stenhousemuir faltered. Not much to report in the game and it was hardly end to end. Stenhousemuir 1 Forfar Athletic 2 saw Davie Iron’s side fail miserably as Ross McMillan got an o.g. to put Forfar ahead, Grant Anderson squared it before Martyn Fotheringham put the Loons 2-1 ahead. This was all in 22 minutes! Stenny’s collapse during the year more to blame for not getting to the play offs than Saturday’s collapse but will all the same be keenly felt.

Albion Rovers 1 Stirling Albion 2 sees the wee Rovers back in the play offs and the Binos go out with a win. John Gemmel put Albion ahead in 5 minutes before Stephen Day and Gary Brass got 2 for Stirling in the 2nd half. East Fife 1 Arbroath 3 had Paul Sheerin’s side stroll into a 3- 0 lead through Collin Samuel, Liam Caddis and Lee Sibanda. David Muir got the consolation for the Fifers. Dumbarton 4 Brechin City 2 had all 6 goals in the 2nd half! Craig Dargo got a hat trick after Charlie King put City ahead and Craig Molloy got City’s second. Glen Thomson got the final goal deep into stoppage time.


Alloa Athletic 1 Annan Athletic 1 saw the champions sign off with a draw against the team that last year was put out in the play offs. Graeme Bell in the 1st half put Annan ahead before Stephen May followed up a Steven Masterton free kick to make it all square. Queens Park 1 Elgin City 3 had only 4 minutes on the clock before Archibald McPhee put the visitors ahead. It was all quiet until 18 minutes before the end when Jason Crooks doubled Elgin’s advantage, Jamie Duff made it 3 and Craig Smith bagged a consolation for the Spiders.

Berwick Rangers 1 Stranraer 0 had Danny Handling getting the only goal of the fame for the Borderers in the 70th minute. Kevin MacDonald had his penalty saved and Ben Millar got sent off for Berwick but with 5 straight defeats including this one before the play offs it’s questionable whose day was the worst! Peterhead 2 East Stirling 0 had James Redman and Scott Ross bring down the curtain on a season for the Blue Toon that promised much and delivered little. Montrose 5 Clyde 0 was a drubbing again for the Bully Wee. A Martin Boyle hat trick with 1 apiece from Terry Masson and Alan Campbell brought a fine end to another disappointing season for Montrose.


About Author

A lifelong supporter, since seeing Alex Ferguson play for them, of Ayr United he now contributes here, at KickTalk and Ringside Reports for things sporty. He is also a theatrical type and an educationalist. As an Ayr fan he clearly can explain the inexplicable, place fanatical faith in the most fantastic of dreams and deal with dark periods of depression and disappointment. Perfect as a teacher..

Loading ...