Glasgow City put Spartans to the sword with a 9-0 rout


[media-credit name=”© Patrick McGuire | Scotzine.com” align=”alignleft” width=”300″][/media-credit]Glasgow City head coach, Eddie Wolecki Black was delighted with his team’s performance. Commenting after the match, he said: “I thought we were excellent today to be honest. I thought we moved the ball really well. We created a lot of chances and I thought we really exploited areas that we wanted to exploit today.”

City made a number of changes from the team that beat Rangers 3-1 last week. Lee Alexander dropped out with Claire Johnston replacing her in goals, while Ciara Barnes dropped to the bench with a calf strain and Leanne Ross taking her place in the starting line-up. Danica Dalziel who had been sent off last week after coming on as a substitute against Rangers, won her appeal against her dismissal and took her place on the bench along with Julie Melrose.

Glasgow City took the lead within the five minutes of the start through Lisa Evans, who lifted the ball over Jo Hutcheson in the Spartans goal. Despite claims of offside from the Spartan players and coaching staff, referee David Graham waved away their protests as City celebrated.

Minutes later, City threatened once more when captain Rachel Corsie sent a ball over the top of the Spartans defence into the path of Leanne Ross, before firing a ball across the face of goal, but the Spartans defence managed to shepard the ball out for a corner.

City continued to dominate the opening exchanges of the match, and Emma Mitchell had two chances soon after one another to double City’s lead. After good play from Nic Docherty down the left, the full back laid the ball off to City top scorer Jane Ross who slid the ball to Mitchell who shot just wide of the goal. Her second chance saw the midfielder trying an audacious shot from 30 yards out which went just over the bar.

However, her next chance on goal duly delivered City’s second. Jane Ross picked up the ball on the left before cutting the ball back to the on-rushing Mitchell who fired a low shot past Hutcheson in the Spartans goal.

Soon after it was 3-0, Jo Love pounced on a loose ball at the back for Spartans, before running to the byline and cutting the ball across goal only for Spartans defender Chloe Fitzpatrick to knock the ball into her own goal.

Spartans had a chance to pull a goal back when Sarah Ewens ran through one-on-one with only Claire Johnstone to beat. But the Spartans striker rushed her shot hitting the ball high and over the City goal, when a more composed and placed finish could have seen Spartans get back into the game.

Just after the half hour mark, Lisa Evans got her second of the game and City’s fourth, when she pounced on a Mitchell cross at the back post firing it low into the goal, after it had gone straight across the face of Spartans goal evading everyone.

City had a number of other chances through Evans, Leanne Ross and Eilish McSorley, before Hutcheson denied Mitchell with a save from close range.

Just under a minute into the second half and a driving run from Jane Ross, saw the City striker smash a shot off the cross-bar. Seconds later, it was City captain Rachel Corsie’s turn to try her luck as she curled a superb effort into the top corner of the Spartans goal.

City had the ball in the back of the net again soon after, but Emma Mitchell was flagged for offside sparing Spartans’ blushes for now.

Evans finally got her third after she ran onto a defence splitting pass from Jane Ross, Evans opened up her body before coolly slotting the ball past the helpless Hutcheson in the Spartans goal.

On the hour mark and for the second week in a row, City were reduced to ten as Emma Fernon was shown a straight red card for foul and abusive language, after she was taken out late by Spartans midfielder Lana Clelland on the touchline. After several minutes of discussion between the referee and the linesman, ref David Graham called Fernon over and flashed the red card to the bemused Fernon and watching support.

That sending off means the full back will miss out on the League Cup Final a week on Wednesday.

Hat-trick hero Lisa Evans made way for Dani Dalziel, as the full back came on to help shore up the City back line.

Despite being down to ten players, City continued their relentless domination of the game and pushed forward once more. Jane Ross, who is proving to be one of City’s top players this season, made it 7-0 to City with a superb strike from outside the box to fire into the top corner.

[media-credit name=”© Patrick McGuire | Scotzine.com” align=”alignleft” width=”300″][/media-credit]If that scoreline wasn’t enough, City made it eight through full back Nic Docherty as she scored her first goal for the club after he switch from Rangers, sending a superb left footed strike into the back of the net.

Leanne Ross made it nine as she got on the end of a cross from Emma Mitchell to head home at the back post.

Lana Clelland finally went into the referee’s book for a late challenge on Leanne Crichton, after several late challenges and digs throughout the match. Clelland was substituted straight away with Louise Mason coming on in her place.

City could have made it ten, when a header from Leanne Ross went goal bound, but it was superbly tipped over the bar by Hutcheson.

Both teams will face off against one another in the SWPL League Cup Final on Wednesday 30th May at Recreation Park, Alloa.

Speaking after the match, Black was full of praise for Docherty who scored her first goal for the club. He said: “I thought it was an excellent goal, to be fair a number of goals today were worked really well and we took our goals really well. I am delighted for Nic because she has came so close on a number of occasions and I did tell her that it was only a matter of time.

“Two minutes before that, I’ve actually said to her next time have a shot. She rolled one into the goalies hands or just wide and then she put that one in. You seen what it meant for her herself, I am really happy for her.”

On the Emma Fernon sending off, Black admitted: “My own players told me what she said, so there is nothing to query [with the referee]. If she said that then she deserves to get sent off and the consequence is she doesn’t get to play in the cup final.”


About Author


Andy Muirhead is the Editor of Scotzine and the Scottish Football fanzine FITBA. He is the Scottish Football columnist for The Morning Star and has written for a number of other publications including ESPN, Huffington Post UK, BT Life's a Pitch and has had his work featured in the Daily Record, The Scotsman and the Daily Mail.

Loading ...