Five star performance from Rangers as United embarrassed


They demolished Peter Houston’s men with a five-star show which confirmed they will finish in second place. However, with Rangers in administration they have been banned from playing in Europe meaning Motherwell will take their place in the Champions League qualifying rounds.

Ally McCoist made two changes to the side that lost Sunday’s Old Firm derby with strikers Andy Little and Lee McCulloch missing out through injury meaning Sone Aluko and Salim Kerkar started up front as the Rangers boss resorted to a 3-5-2 formation.

Although the scoreline suggests a total dominance by Rangers, the visitors almost took the lead in the second minute as a long-range Garry Kenneth free-kick had Allan McGregor diving low to beat it away.

But in the sixth minute, fans early nerves were settled when youngster Rhys McCabe showed some great determination and played a ball through to Steven Whittaker who showed great composure as he slotted a left foot shot past Dusan Pernis in the United goal.

McGregor had to be at his best again as Gary Mackay-Steven forced him to another fine save with a fierce left foot drive.

Man of the Match Sone Aluko then showed, not once but twice in the space of three minutes what an asset he has become for Rangers.

He made it 2-0 after being set up by Kerkar before racing past Sean Dillon and firing past Pernis.

Three minutes later he got his second when John Rankin’s poor pass allowed Kerkar to set up Aluko again and this time he scored with his right foot, striking low past the despairing United keeper.

The Ibrox’s men dominance continued throughout the first half and they could have been further ahead if Pernis hadn’t made a smart save from Lee Wallace’s shot as the defender made a run into the box.

Houston rang the changes at half-time in a bid to salvage something from the game with Keith Watson and Barry Douglas coming on for Kenneth and Mackay-Steven.

But it was still one-way traffic and Aluko almost grabbed a hat-trick in the first minute of the second 45 but Pernis saved at the near post. From the resulting corner, Edu almost made it four but mis-hit his shot into the ground.

On 57 minutes Rangers finally got their fourth. They could easily have had a penalty after a handball in the box, but the ball broke to Jamie Ness who slotted home a nice left-foot finish in his first start since August.

The game soon petered out after that with United offering little resistance and Rangers seemingly content with their nights work.

There was a time for a late 5th goal late on as Edu played in his fellow American Alejandro Bedoya who slid home to finally grab his first goal for the club.

For one night Rangers could focus on the football. And how they must have enjoyed it before going back to the daily grinds of administration and preferred bidders.


About Author

Ewan is a third year Journalism student at Glasgow Caledonian University. A Rangers season ticker holder, he is interested in all things related to Scottish Football, but also writes about the English Championship.

Loading ...