Hearts hit Dunfermline hard at Tynecastle


Hearts shrugged off their financial problems as Stephen Elliot pounced on a close range chance and turned the ball in as the Dunfermline defence appeared to be static. The chance came about as Ryan McGowan miss-hit his shot from Ian Black’s corner and it fell kindly to Elliot to prod home after two minutes.

The Dunfermline defence looked fragile all afternoon and their case wasn’t helped as McGowan was not picked up, but fortunately for the Pars his header was straight at Paul Gallacher in goals.

Despite looking frail at the back Dunfermline looked strong going forward, Alex Keddie tried his luck as he controlled the ball on his chest and undone all his good work by hurrying his shot and firing it wide.

Ian Black was proving his worth to the Hearts team as his corners continued to cause problems for the Pars defence. His cross found Zaliukas who sent his header wide of the goals, and a second goal was forthcoming for Hearts soon after.

Mehdi Taouil added a second following good work from Ryan McGowan. The young defender superbly ran through the Pars defence and into the penalty area. His pass found Taouil who scuffed his shot which somehow ended up beyond Gallacher into the back of the net.

There were two more chances for both sides in quick succession. Andrew Barrowman headed over from a corner for Dunfermline, before Zaliukas again squandered a chance from 6 yards out for the dominant Hearts team.

Dunfermline looked sharp after the interval and almost scored. Martin Hardie sent a through ball into the box for Buchanan who seen Kello surpass his effort with a fantastic stop.

Hearts could have wrapped the game up much earlier than they did. Moments after the Buchanan effort Stephen Elliot was through on goal after a quick breakaway, however he sent his drive into the side netting.

Templeton was in fine form as he sent a shot over his shoulder after some good work from Taouil only to see it go wide of the goal. He then forced a double save out of Gallacher as his first effort was blocked, before Mrowiec shot and seen it pushed away by the Dunfermline goalie. There were strong cries for a penalty from the home support and team as Templeton hit the ground in the penalty area, but the appeals were ignored by the referee Charlie Richmond.

Martin Hardie tried dribbling the ball out of the Dunfermline defence exposing all of its fragilities in one moment. The ball was lost to Templeton and he promptly scored as the ball broke kindly at his feet. His effort hit the back of the net and left Gallacher helpless after some poor defending from his team.

The game was effectively killed off by this point and Hearts had to wait another 20 minutes before adding their final goal. Substitute Ryan Stevenson hit a venomous drive which the Pars goalkeeper failed to hold and fellow substitute Rudi Skacel was on hand to head the ball home and complete a fantastic win for a Hearts team that manager Paulo Sergio said ‘may lack heart’ and there was plenty on display today.

After a torrid week for the players, Ian Black showed he was not just a good at painting walls as he helped Hearts to a much-needed victory which consigns Dunfermline to the foot of the SPL with a goal difference of minus 20.

Hearts: Kello; Hamill, Zaliukas, Webster, McGowan; Black, Mrowiec, Taouil (Skacel, 71), Robinson, Templeton (Novikovas, 80); Elliott (Stevenson, 83). Subs not used: McDonald, McKay, Sutton, Kane.

Dunfermline: Gallagher, Dowie, Potter, Keddie, Mason (Thomson, 74), Hardie, Willis, Burns, Barrowman (Cardle, 57), Buchanan (Kirk, 71), Graham. Subs not used: Smith, Clarke, Byrne, Young.

Referee: Charlie Richmond


About Author

Loading ...