A Day in the Life of: Ewan Greenhill of Forfar Farmington


On a typical match day I’m usually up early unless it’s a trip to Lennoxtown to play Celtic and we don’t kick off until 4pm. I can get a lie in and being a student, I love my lie ins!

I always read the papers (back pages only) at breakfast, it’s like the calm before the storm as it’s never long before my phone goes and there’s some chat between myself, Mark (the gaffer) and Kev (the asst. gaffer). Most of it is match-related, but as is the nature of us there is usually some nonsense thrown in also.

I’ve always got to be organised, so I pack my bag on the Saturday so I can just pick it up and head down to Strathmore Park on foot with the iPod, for around Noon if the game is a 2pm kick off.

We take pride in having our dressing room all set up and looking good so all the coaches chip in. The players arrive for 12.30pm and while they are getting ready I set the warm-up out and we go over the pre-match chat one more time before delivering.

The players come out 40-45 minutes before kick-off and this is where I earn my keep – the warm up routine (dodgy player banter included). I take the majority of the warm up, the physical section and the initial ball work that the whole team does before moving to work with the subs, where the questionable banter continues.

Kick Off

Then it’s time to man the camera for our video analysis. And hope I don’t miss any action and the camera and/or the tripod doesn’t take-a-doing from the ball or a player, previous encounters have seen last season’s tripod been put into retirement.

Full time

(hopefully with 3 points)

The team and I then head out for the cool down routine and I tend to get grilled for my opinion over decisions they think the referee got wrong. Diplomacy in action from me! We all then head back to the dressing room for a chat on the game.

As the players are in the dressing room, we do the glamorous part of the job – tidying up. Gear together then after a quick shift back into the tracksuit, hospitality.

By 5pm I’m usually home and watching the tea-time game from the English Premier League, but that doesn’t mean the football work is finished.

The footage from the memory card is already in my laptop and is being converted, so it can be used in focus and the analysis can get done after Sunday tea.

Sunday isn’t complete without a proper tea at night! Throughout the night messages continue to fly back and forward about the game and by 10-11 o’clock the videos are ready, so I can start the analysis of the game and try to do as much as possible before calling it a night.

We would like to thank Ewan for taking part in our very first ‘A Day in the Life of….’ feature.


About Author


Andy Muirhead is the Editor of Scotzine and the Scottish Football fanzine FITBA. He is the Scottish Football columnist for The Morning Star and has written for a number of other publications including ESPN, Huffington Post UK, BT Life's a Pitch and has had his work featured in the Daily Record, The Scotsman and the Daily Mail.

Loading ...