Stenny the nearly-men as they lose out in goal-fest at Airdrie


With his side being convincingly beaten at half-time, Davie Irons must have thought his team talk in the away dressing room must have worked wonders. Temporarily at least.

Airdrie had cruised to a 3-0 lead in the first 45, but ten minutes into the second half it was anyone’s game at 3-2.

It turned out to be a fascinating spectacle which saw seven goals, ten yellow cards and one sending off.

The goals started early with some great individual play by Ryan Donnelly who netted from outside the box just before the ten minute mark.

Seconds later the card-fest began when Jamie Bain and Andy Rodgers both collected bookings after a heated exchange between the two.

In the 27th minute, the ball fell to Airdrie captain Paul Lovering and his shot deflecting on the way to the goal to make it 2-0.

The game began to get a bit more controversial when Stenhousemuir ‘keeper Alistair Brown went to kick the ball and it dropped to Donnelly, who then thought he had slotted home to make it 3-0. However, despite having his back turned to the incident and the linesman not flagging, referee Alan Muir chopped off the goal and booked the young Airdrie striker.

Just on the stroke of half-time the Diamonds did make it 3-0 with Lovering’s cross being met by a diving header from John Boyle.

Davie Irons’ men then came out in the second half and didn’t take long to cut the deficit. A simple corner was floated in by Steven Murray and headed home by Colin Hamilton.

Another five minutes later and the home fans were beginning to worry as Kieron Stallard missed his header and left Stewart Kean to pull another one back – was the comeback on at 3-2?

Not quite, would be the answer. Airdrie began to apply some pressure of their own and in the 58th minute, Boyle was late in getting to a ball into the box and collided with ‘keeper Brown.

Brown, in retaliation shoved Boyle to the deck and was only booked for the incident by Alan Muir.

In the 66th minute it was Stenhousemuir’s turn to be appealing a decision, with Bain delivering a ball to Donnelly who timed his run well and rounded the ‘keeper to make it 4-2 whilst the defence were claiming offside (which earned Ross McMillan a yellow card).

The last ten minutes were certainly eventful as Stewart Kean became the 10th man to be booked just before Airdrie substitute Nathan Blockely came on the park and made it 5-2 within seconds of his appearance.

In injury time, Alan Muir was forced to send David Lilley off after a rash and needless challenge on Andy Rodgers.

Now only four points separate the sides, with Airdrie climbing up to 5th and Stenhousemuir still sitting in a play-off spot at 3rd.

Airdrie Utd: McKane, Bain, Lilley, Stallard, Lovering, Keast (Johnston 46), Devlin, Lynch (Blockley 82), Stevenson, Boyle (Holmes 59), Donnelly.
Subs Not Used: Fairley, Hill.

Stenhousemuir: Brown, Lyle, Corrigan, McMillan, Hamilton, Ferguson, Paton (Dickson 35), Iain Thomson (Joe McCafferty 81), Murray (Fraser 72), Kean, Rodgers.
Subs Not Used: McCluskey, Quinn.

Att: 698

Ref: Alan Muir


About Author

Loading ...