SFL Match Report: Raith Rovers 2-0 PartickThistle


Raith Rovers played host to Partick Thistle, looking to end their run of six league games without a win. With Partick Thistle yet to chalk up an away win this season and Raith Rovers in much need of a home win, anyone would have bet on a draw. However, Raith came galloping out of the starting blocks with some immediate pressure on the visitors defence. Within the first five minutes Baird had a driving shot just wide of the post and a few moments later Joe Hamill delivering a header just over the bar.

As the first half progressed, both teams were defending well and creating chances however it was Rovers who broke the deadlock on the half hour mark. Allan Walkers corner was met by a glancing header across goal from Grant Murray where Laurie Ellis was waiting at the back post to put the home side ahead, a fitting tribute to Ellis who celebrated his 300th game at the club. The Jags made their first substitution just before half time with Christie Elliot being replaced by Tommy Stewart.

Thistle began the second half looking to even up the scoreline with Paul Cairney making a blistering run through the Raith defence which was easily dealt with by McGurn. A few moments later, Thistle were awarded a free kick just outside the box which was driven at the wall by Aaron Sinclair. This sparked a counter-attack from Raith Rovers and Cairney receiving a yellow card for his foul on Iain Davidson. Allan Walker put the free kick into the box which resulted in a claim for a penalty for a push on Brian Graham. The referee dismissed the shouts from the team and the vocal home

Rovers resumed their assault on the Thistle defence with Graham putting a cross into the box where Baird headed home after 56 minutes to give Rovers a 2 goal advantage. The Jags boss brought on his second sub of the day which saw Paul Paton leave the action and be replaced by Chris Erskine. Raith Rovers continued to dominate in the second half, there were a couple of long-range shots from Sinclair and Cairney but these were easily dealt with by the Raith keeper. The visitors struggled to penetrate the Rovers defence for the remainder of the game. Rovers made a substitution in the
closing stages of the game which saw Ross Callachan coming off the substitute bench to replace Iain Davidson shortly before referee Alan Muir called the game to a close.

After the game, Raith Rovers manager John McGlynn commended the team on a great team performance with particular strength in the midfield. The Jags boss, Jackie McNamara added that he had no complaints and that Raith deserved the win on the day.

All in all a fantastic home win for Raith Rovers which see them leap-frog the Glasgow side to 6th place in the table.

Raith: McGurn, Donaldson, Murray, Ellis, Dyer, Williamson, Davidson (Callachan
89), Walker, Hamill, Baird, Brian Graham.

Subs Not Used: Laidlaw, Reynolds, Thomson, Walls.

Goals: Ellis 31, Baird 56.

Partick: Fox, Balatoni, Archibald, Sinclair, Paton (Erskine 57), Cairney, Rowson,
O’Donnell, Hutton, Doolan, Elliot (Stewart 40).

Subs Not Used: Trialist, Vannigan, Lindsay.

Booked: Cairney.

Attendance: 1,769

Man of the Match: John Baird


About Author

27 years old, based in the east of Scotland. Lover of sports, writing and shoes. Studied Media in Dundee in my early twenties and went in the entirely opposite direction upon graduating and took a job with the NHS. As thrilling as that sounds, I like to find the time to write about the things I love. I travel as much as my free time allows and capture as many moments as I can, on paper or through a lens.

Loading ...