Ross County remain top of the table after 2-0 win over Morton


Morton made two changes as Colin Stewart and Peter McDonald returned to the starting eleven. Ross County welcomed back Michael Gardyne as Ross County looked to extend their lead at the top of the table.

The affectionately named “Cowshed” was gradually filling up and the fans were welcomed with the Morton cheerleaders. The girls were not appreciative of the miserable day at Cappielow park as the players rather grudgingly took to the field. Cappie the cat awkwardly danced his way off the field while the players got ready for kick off.

An unfortunate slip of the tongue from the Morton announcer raised eyebrows as the young mascot was described as having a ‘Fascist conscience’. Nice to hear the youth of today are politically active.

To the game though and it was Morton who started the brighter. A series of corners did not amount to anything but it was the Greenock side who set the tempo.

The rain was bucketing down as both teams struggled to deal with the tricky conditions. Virtually nothing happened in the first half hour as a result. A looping Paul Di Giacomo header was the only half chance of any real note.

But it was the away side who took the lead. Colin McMenamin found himself clean through and he had the easy task of laying the ball to Stuart Kettlewell who finished with aplomb. There was little in it to be fair but Kettlewell’s goal was the difference going into half-time.

The Morton players came out early in the second half a sign of their intentions and renewed impetus. Paul Di Giacomos low drilled cross was nearly turned in by Scott Boyd but the Ross County man scuffed his clearance by the post.

Morton made a tactical substitution by bringing Peter Weatherston into the game. He replaced Andrew Graham and joined Peter MacDonald up front.

But it was Michael Gardyne who nearly doubled County’s advantage when he cleverly sidestepped Marc Smyth before caressing his shot just by the post.

Colin Stewart was then forced into a smart save when Iain Vigurs tried placing his shot into the bottom left hand corner.

Stewart was called into action again as Stuart Kettlewell fired in his shot from the edge of the box. The Morton keeper doing well to get in front of Kettlewell’s shot.

It was Kettlewell again who came closest to scoring as his effort was well dealt with by Stewart. Paul Lawson also had a long-range attempt trickle wide while Vigurs was unlucky to see Grant Evans get in the way of his goal bound shot.

It was to be a calamitous end for the Morton keeper though who had done well to keep County at bay. After making a magnificent save from Kurtis Byrne the Morton keeper then inexplicable palmed the ball into the net.

It was no more than the highlanders deserved as they ran out 2-0 winners in a well-earned win. Thats 5 wins on the trot for County who go 9 games unbeaten while its disappointment for Morton as they continue their slide down the league.

Derek Adams was a happy man at the end of the game: “To limit Morton to so few chances was pleasing. I’m obviously delighted with the way we are progressing and with the way we are playing.”

Alan Moore was in reflective mood despite succumbing to another home defeat: “I felt we were pretty comfortable but our final ball was terrible. It’s a sore one for us to take and we have probably dropped down a few positions but we will have to lift our heads and try and steady the ship.”

Morton: Stewart, Graham (Weatherson) 64, Forsyth, Evans, Smyth, McGeouch, Di Giacomo, Bachirou, MacDonald (Campbell) 73, McCann, O’Brien (Fitzharris) 79

Subs not used: Jackson, McGinley

Ross County: Fraser, Miller, Fitzpatrick, Boyd, Munro, Lawson, Gardyne (Byrne) 86, Kettlewell, McMenamin (Corcoran), Brittain, Vigurs

Ross County Subs: Flynn, Duncan, Malin

Referee: Charlie Richmond

Attendance: 1,748


About Author

Loading ...