SFL Weekend Roundup – 6th August


At the end of the day Hamilton Academicals, Arbroath and Annan Athletic are sitting top of each respective division – scoring a round dozen in the process and each only conceding one apiece. If only it was that easy to win a league – or to tell the tale of how it was won … the headlines include a game where two goalkeepers from the same side were sent off, four games with at least five goals in them and 1 with 8 … so here’s the details.

SFL Division One

Ayr 1 Hamilton 2

Billy Reid was already aware that he needed a striker – or two. His central defence dug him out of this one as a Michael McGowan strike put Ayr 1 up within 10 minutes. Two headed corners from Mark McLaughlin saved their bacon and put a welcome 3 points on the board.

Livingston 2 Queen of South 2

This was always likely to be a tricky one to predict and when Queen of the South went 2 up in 32 minutes it looked like Gus McPherson was going to be all smiles. Scott McLaughlin and Tom Brighton put the visitors ahead before David Sinclair pulled one back. McPherson will be having stern words with Craig Reid who got his marching orders for his mouth rather than any badly times tackle and Iain Russell was able to convert the penalty that caused such a fuss in the 85th minute to square it.

Partick Thistle 0 Dundee 1

It was honours for Barry Smith in the tale of the two bosses in their first full year. Partick Thistle had their moments including efforts from Aaron Sinclair and Scott Robertson but Matt Lockwood broke their hearts in the final minute with a penalty after Alan Archibald took Nicholas Riley out in the box.

Raith Rovers 1 Falkirk 0

Another narrow win, this time for the home side as John McGlynn’s side took the lead with a sucker punch just before half time through Joe Hamill. Rovers pressed for a second and then further misery was heaped on the visitors as new signing Darren Dods saw red for two bookings – both given for fouls on Raith’s John Baird.

Ross County 0 Morton 0

Derek Adams will possibly be happier after this as free scoring Morton were stopped in their tracks in Dingwall. Morton apparently had plenty of chances including efforts from Grant Evans and Paul Di Giacomo but this weekend it was not to go Allan Moore’s way.

SFL Division Two

Airdrie Utd 3 Dumbarton 0

Jimmy Boyle’s side bagged their first win in their first game in division two with two from Phillip Johnston in 6 and 63 minutes with Ryan Donnelly claiming another in between in 9 minutes. Going 2 down in less than 10 minutes was too much for a Dumbarton squad that was right down to the bare bones.

Arbroath 6 Albion Rovers 2

8 goals are always entertaining and Paul Martin’s side had not one but two goalkeepers sent off in a game that was well worth the entrance fee. Derek Gaston went first as early as 5 minutes – Paul Sjheerin making it 1-0 from the spot – before 10 man Rovers went 2 down as Lee Sibanda got a second in 29 minutes. Rovers fought back and levelled through 2 goals from Chris Boyle in the 31st and then 37th minutes. At half time it was all square. Stuart Malcolm and Kieran McAnespie put Arbroath 2 in front again in the 46th and 51st minute. Grant Fahey was dismissed in the 56th minute and Paul Sheerin made in 5-2 from the spot before Lee Bryce finished the scoring in the 80th.

Brechin 2 Stenhousemuir 0

Jim Weir’s side held on against an early onslaught from Stenhousemuir before coming out in the second half and David McKenna on the 71st and Paul McManus n the 80th made it 2-0. Brechin seem to be not missing a certain Rory and Stenny’s new strike force of Stewart Kean and Andy Rodgers have still to gets started.

Forfar 2 Cowdenbeath 2

Cowdenbeath had to fight hard to get their point after Mark Ramsay had given them the lead on the 11th minute.  In the 58th minute Forfar equalised through Mark McCulloch before provider Chris Templeman became the scorer with a penalty on the 62nd minute, Greg Ross having been fouled by Jordan Morton in the box. Lewis Coult equalised in the 78th minute for Colin Cameron to gain his first points on the board as a boss.

Stirling 1 East Fife 0

This was a narrow victory for a wily Jocky Scott as Stirling’s demise had been widely predicted but he had the last laugh as Scott Davison scored the only goal of the game in 76 minutes after some fine interplay involving Gary Thom and Alan Cook. The Fifers had plenty of opportunities but Stirling goalkeeper, Sam Filler, was in inspired form.

SFL Division three

Annan Athletic 5 Queen’s Park 2

Gardneir Speirs’ side slumped to yet another defeat and a heavy one it was too. Mind you they were 2 up within 27 minutes as Craig Smith scored twice in the 18th and 27th minutes. David Cox got one back in the 32nd before Graeme Bell managed to level just before the break. Annan then added a further 3 in the 2nd half through Scott Gibson heading home in the 59th, Steven Sloan in the 62nd and finally Scott Gibson finished the scoring in the 65th.

Clyde 2 Peterhead  0

Clyde opened their account with a goal in either half with John Sweeney in the 1st through John Sweeney and Stephen MacDonald headed them 2-0 up after 75 minutes. No Rory McAllister bounce this weekend and the effect that one signing can bring may well have been overplayed – once again.

East Stirling 1 Montrose  0

A penalty in the 78th minute was all that separated these two sides as Steven Jackson put the penalty away after Jonathan Smart for Montrose was sent off. Montrose did have their chances, particularly in the first half but not taking their chances proved fatal as East Stirling took all 3 points in a battle that may be significant later in the season.

Elgin City 4 Berwick Rangers 1

Elgin City’s Craig Gunn scored all of Elgin’s 4 goals. In 17 minutes he met Graeme Beveridge’s cross, then put away a penalty after Dan Smith fouled Dan Moore, then Moore crossed for Gunn to take his hat trick in the 51st minute and finally in the 70th minute he was the recipient of more good play from Moore and made it 4 for him and Elgin.  Paul Currie got a spectacular consolation from 25 yards out in the 85th minute.

Stranraer 2 Alloa Athletic 3

A see saw game that ended with a winner 5 minutes from the end of the game. Alloa started the scoring with a penalty put away by Ryan McCord after Kevin Cawley was fouled by David Mitchell in Stranraer’s goals. The hosts pulled on back in the 17th with Chris Aitken and then went 2-1 ahead through a Sean Winter header in the 35th. In the 59th Ben Gordon made it all square before Kevin Cawley made it 3-2 in the 85th minute.


About Author

A lifelong supporter, since seeing Alex Ferguson play for them, of Ayr United he now contributes here, at KickTalk and Ringside Reports for things sporty. He is also a theatrical type and an educationalist. As an Ayr fan he clearly can explain the inexplicable, place fanatical faith in the most fantastic of dreams and deal with dark periods of depression and disappointment. Perfect as a teacher..

Loading ...