The football season may still be weeks away but there is still an important even happening this Sunday at Broadwood Stadium.
A Charity 7-a-sides tournament featuring 16 teams has been organized to raise funds for CHAS (Children’s Hospice Association Scotland) and the Firefighters Charity and will take part over four Astroturf pitches behind the stadium.
The teams taking part are organized by local people via their places of work or friends they happen to play football with on a regular basis so this is their World Cup so to speak.
Nicola Gunn, CHAS Fundraiser, said: “We’re delighted to be benefiting from what promises to be a fantastic day out for all the family. All the money raised for CHAS will benefit children and young people with life-shortening conditions and their families across Scotland.”
John Bleasdale, tournament organiser, said: “It’s been a lot of hard work to get everything organised but we’re confident that we’ve got a great family-friendly event which will raise lots of money for two excellent charities. We’re hoping for a great turn out so please come along and enjoy the day.”
The tournament format is straightforward – four groups of four with the top two advancing to the knockout rounds before the winner emerges with the CHAS & Firefighters Charity Cup, being presented by Hearts striker Kevin Kyle. It’s identical to
the format of the European Championships but without the ability of a Cristiano Ronaldo and Andres Iniesta.
In addition to the tournament, there are a host of activities taking place on the day for families to take part in, such as…
- Beat the keeper
- Fire Engine
- Baking Stalls
- Ice Cream van
- Stadium Bar
- Sports quiz hosted by Clyde manager Jim Duffy
The event was organised by John Bleasdale of Aviva, Daniel McMillan of Yorkhill and John Ryan of Cumbernauld Fire Brigade – and it’s the third year of the competition with it being run for McMillan over the last two years.
The event runs from 12-5 on Sunday, 26 June so please come along and support the guys who are giving up their spare time to raise funds for these two wonderful causes.
Red Army (organizer, John Bleasdale), Aviva Kirkintilloch Select (Ryan Paterson), Steelmen Online (Keith Crane), Yorkhill (Daniel McMillan), Fire Service Red Devils (John Ryan), Asda Real Sosobad (Ryan Mason), Gartnavel Hospital (Daniel McMillan), Yorkhill B (Daniel McMillan), IBPL Aviva (David Kelly), Aviva The Hurricanes (James Scott), Yorkhill A&E (Daniel McMillan), Sunday 7’s (John Bleasdale), Fire Service B (John Ryan), Ambulance Team (John Ryan), The Crab Seeks Knowledge (Alistair Swanson), Mizuno (Graeme Scott).
Raffle prize list and Quiz prizes
- £20 Sunday Lunch Voucher, Di Maggio’s Airdrie
- £10 gift card, Tesco Cumbernauld
- Free Photo Canvas, Tesco Cumbernauld
- 2 adults 2 concessions Complementary ticket, Dundee United
- 2 adults 2 kids Complementary ticket, St Mirren
- £10 voucher, Farmfoods
- Bar Meal for 2 up to value of £8.50, Beefeater Cumbernauld
- MP-63 Fast Track Driver, Mizuno
- Family ticket for 4, Falkirk Wheel
- Tour of Ibrox for 6, Rangers FC
- Fourballs for 4 people, Crowwood Golf Club
- Two World Championship Tickets, Profesional Darts Corporation
- Size 5 football, Scottish Football League
- Two size 4 footballs, Scottish Premier League
- Bottle of Vodka, Wheatsheaf Torrance
- 2x £20 gift vouchers, William Hill Moodiesburn
- £10 voucher, Burger King Cumbernauld
- 2x 1 Litre Ice Cream voucher, Soaves Muirhead
- Free entry for 2 voucher, Raith Rovers
- 1 hour Sports Massage
- Adidas football, John Bleasdale
- Male/Female Regatta Trainers, CHAS
1st prize – Fourballs at Mount Ellen Golf club
2nd prize – Tickets for two, The Stand Comedy Club, Glasgow
3rd prize – McDonalds family voucher