Glasgow City thrash Celtic Ladies 8-0


Glasgow City strolled into the next round of the Premier League Cup with a 8-0 thrashing of rivals Celtic. City dominated the match from start to finish to such an extent that their opponents and League Cup holders recorded only one opening throughout the whole game, a set piece free kick which was hit wide of target.

City’s intent was shown right from the first whistle with City going close on a number of occasions through Jo Love, Christie Murray and Lisa Evans in particular. It was no surprise therefore to the large crowd of spectators, when City did eventually open their account.

Good link up between Jane Ross and Christie Murray, released Ross in the box, but as she tried to chip Celtic defender McGuire and the outrushing keeper Fay, McGuire handled and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Up stepped the ever reliable Leanne Ross and she fired past her international team mate, Fay, to put her side in front.

Goal number two, saw the start of a string of super City attacking play. Receiving a great pass from Lisa Evans, City Captain Rachel Corsie expertly controlled the ball on her chest before hitting a low shot into the corner of the net.

It was 3-0 before half time, with arguably the goal of the match. A brilliant passing display from the home side saw Leanne Ross stride into the box and hit a low effort past Fay on target. With Celtic defenders recovering to try to clear the ball off the line, City full back Emma Mitchell, got their first to ensure the ball was fired into the back of the net.

Two minutes after the restart and Mitchell made it 4-0 with a great individual goal. Going on a mazy run past three defenders, the Scotland Under 19 international shot past Fay to put her team into easy street.

Jo Love almost got her competitive debut goal, when she hit a fantastic effort off the post from outside the box, but it was soon 5-0 with Mitchell getting her hat-trick. Controlling an Emma Fernon cross, the young full back showed again her ability in front of goal to strike the ball into the back of the net.

Lisa Evans was on target with number six, with a cool finish inside the box and then Christie Murray thought she had made it number seven, but her strike was chopped off for offside. It was not to be the pint size strikers day in front of goal, as she had earlier hit the bar after some dazzling skills at the edge of the box had seen her skip past numerous defenders before hitting an unstoppable effort which came back off the upright.

Goal number seven did eventually come with a brilliant 25 yard effort from Jane Ross which rocketed into the top corner, leaving Fay no chance and Corsie rounded off a great team performance, getting the credit for goal eight.

Head Coach Eddie Wolecki Black was also unsurprisingly delighted to his team’s start to the season. He said, “We were really pleased with the girls today. They did everything we asked of them and their movement and passing was fantastic. We won’t get too carried away with the result, but it was an excellent start and something we will look to build on as the season progresses.”

In the other first round ties, the weather meant postponement of Inverness v Hamilton Accies and Falkirk v Rangers. Spartans survived the freeze to edge out Forfar Farmington 3-2. A hat-trick for Scotland striker Diana Barry put the Edinburgh side through, with Julie Scott and Nicola Davidson replying for the visitors.

Written by Laura Montgomery


About Author

Guest Writers are contributors to Scotzine, but not on a regular basis unlike some of our other writers. If you wish to become a Guest Writer on Scotzine, please email us at editor [at] scotzine [dot] com

Loading ...